AKG K701 or Audio Technica AD1000X for Kpop/Jpop?
Jul 10, 2014 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Boffy

Head-Fier
I am planning to get my first full sized, open back headphone. Previously, I have used Sony MDR 7550 and Sony MDR 1R. Though I still love them, I would like an upgrade.

My Sound Preference:
I listen to all kinds of music. Kpop, Jpop, Dubstep, Electronic, Music Box, Instrumentals, Piano, Rock, Ballad, and probably more that I just can't think of at the moment. But, I listen to Jpop/Kpop female vocals 90% of the time. I am not a bass head, so I actually do not mind if a headphone is lacking in bass. However, I want my headphone to have a large sound stage and an emphasized female vocal. Sparkly highs is a plus. 

My 5 favorite songs:

1. Ray-Ebb and Flow

2. Juniel-Everlasting Sunset

3. Younha-Hello Beautiful Day

4. Yanagi Nagi-Aqua Terrarium 

5. Nishino Kana-Motto...

I am currently using Fiio E17 Amp/DAC. But, I will be upgrading it to Schiit Valhalla II Tube Amp+Schiit Modi DAC combo if I were to need an upgrade. To be honest, I would love to get AKG K701 over Audio Technica AD1000X due to the aesthetics and comfort (I have tried both of them before, I find AKg K701 to be more comfortable). However, I have read so many controversies regarding the AKG K701 (How I need $2,000+ Amp, how it sounds worse than $125 headphones, how it sounds bad until 400+ hour burn in, etc) I don't even know anymore. Quite frankly, I am kinda frustrated. Hopefully this time around, I can get a decent answer. Thanks for reading.

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #2 of 4
Just my two cents, but don't get K701, just on comfort alone. I had them for a year and those god damned bumps on the headband were so uncomfortable with any use over say, half an hour. I do have a big head, but my friend, who bought them from me had the same issue, he fixed it by putting a layer of foam inside the headband, looked ugly but worked. Good sounding cans though.

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #3 of 4
I think either the K701 or the Q701 could be a good choice for you.

The Q/K7xx series doesn't need a $2000 amp to sound good. However, because of their insensitivity and voltage needs, a desktop amp like the Schiit Magni that is more powerful could do a better job than the E17 for bringing out the best of them. Add in the Schiit Modi, and you'd have a good step up in sound from the E17 which they could definitely benefit from because they are so revealing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back