AKG K701 + NAD C372 Phones, are they a good pair?
Jan 16, 2008 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

PrTv

100+ Head-Fier
I'm considering between K701 and HD650, but before you say "not another K701 Vs Hd650 thread", let me say I'm not gonna ask which one to choose (I know there are many threads out there). My question is does C372's Phones do this headphones justice?

It is my first full-size can after using AKG 240K for a long time, which means I don't have any fancy head-amp to drive it (and if possible, don't want to shell out a lot of money for it). I intend to use it with my current home stereo rig (NAD C372), but I heard that this one is very difficult to drive, especially if I want some good sound from it. Plus I can't borrow them from the shop to see if they really work well with my amp.

If anyone has experience about this, it would be appreciated to hear your opinion.

If anyone happens to have both 701 and 650 and C372, it would be great if I could know which one matches better with my C372.

Actually I had an audition for both of them at the store with LisaIII connected to iPod Nano 3G with Crossroad and a good quality interconnect. I tend to like 650's sound, for 701 is a bit "thin" for my taste (I like to hear double bass in Jazz record). 701 is a bit bright for my taste, and despite the great soundstage, vocal is not as thick as the Senn.

My concern is that, as we all know that the Senn has a dark sound, I don't know how it will turn out using it with my NAD, which produces a warm sound.

On the other hand, the chance may be my NAD can tame the bright sound of 701 and add some body and fullness to its mid. In this case, 701 may be more interesting for me.

As I told you there is no return policy where I live, I have to consider it very seriously before making this huge investment.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back