AKG K701 mini-impressions/pictures (damn these are good) [56K Warn]
May 20, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #17 of 44
Did you clean the desk and room for us?

May 20, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih
Did you clean the desk and room for us?

Nope.. I'm anal about tidyness.

The K701s are currently unamped, I'm waiting for a few amps to pop up in the FS/FT now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan
Nice writeup.

Damn...I thought I was going to be able to pick this up off you (locally here in Richmond) when you are tired with it ..... based on your pattern, in about 1 week ?
smily_headphones1.gif

In anycase, enjoy your new cans..

Unfortunately, I'm in Ontario now.
frown.gif

May 20, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #20 of 44
I agree with many of your observations akwok. They look fantastic next to your gear...almost as if you planned it
very_evil_smiley.gif

I ended up selling all of the cans I owned at the time (HD650s, W2002 and HF-1s) when I got my K701 as I found them so versatile. The overall tonal balance makes it (imo) the most "agreeable" dynamic headphone and I also feel that it is technically competent in most areas: including detail, soundstage and imaging. They also scale remarkably well with amps: going from WNA -> HR Max made a huge difference.

One of the great things about the K701s are the fact that they are mass produced and made from "cheap" materials - consequently, sounding far better than they should at that price point. Don't get me wrong, I love "limited edition" luxury headphones (*looks at his sig
tongue.gif
), but it's great to have headphones that sound this good and are not exclusive.

Quote:

It seems tipped a bit towards upper frequencies at times, but it is probably my Squeezebox 3 that's mucking the sound.

One of my only complaints about the K701 is that they are very positionally sensitive and haven't been designed to have a consistent fit. You can place them on very forward (so that the back of your ear touches the pad) or very far back. This results in a signature that can be anything from dull and veiled to harsh and sibilant. This is probably the reason for all of the mixed reviews.

Since I sold my 007t amp I have been waiting for a new amp from Justin and I have to say that it hasn't been disappointing to go back to the K701s from the HE90s.

May 22, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #21 of 44
I just tried out the AKG K701 + iPod Nano -- I wasn't expecting much, but damn! It also sounds good!

It seems to sound better than the Squeezebox 3 out. Maybe there's a reason AKG made the K701s look the way they are? Synergy with iPods? :p

Anyone else think this combo is marveeeelous, or am I suffering from Stax withdrawal?

May 22, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
I just tried out the AKG K701 + iPod Nano -- I wasn't expecting much, but damn! It also sounds good!

It seems to sound better than the Squeezebox 3 out. Maybe there's a reason AKG made the K701s look the way they are? Synergy with iPods? :p

Anyone else think this combo is marveeeelous, or am I suffering from Stax withdrawal?

I've been preaching the iPod + K701 combo since the K701s came out
I've been met with a ton of skeptics
O well, my ears don't lie to me
icon10.gif

Glad we have another person in the camp =)

May 22, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #24 of 44
Man those look nice. I wasn't crazy about their comfort level and found the HD600s much more comfortable. Maybe that's just me. I still think they look good, but they do take getting used to.

May 22, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
I've been preaching the iPod + K701 combo since the K701s came out
I've been met with a ton of skeptics
O well, my ears don't lie to me
icon10.gif

Glad we have another person in the camp =)

I was surprised! And then I just stood there staring at the atrocity for a while. How can such good sound come from such a minimalistic and tiny setup?

If the K701s didn't look that outrageous I would use it outside. But alas, the minute I stood in front of the mirror holding the Nano with the K701s on my head, the dream shattered.

May 22, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

I was surprised! And then I just stood there staring at the atrocity for a while. How can such good sound come from such a minimalistic and tiny setup?

If the K701s didn't look that outrageous I would use it outside. But alas, the minute I stood in front of the mirror holding the Nano with the K701s on my head, the dream shattered.

Hey next time I get flamed for suggesting the iPod + K701 combo, you can rescue me
tongue.gif

May 22, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #27 of 44
Might be trading my hd-600's (Had them for a month and still no amp for them) for k701's. Are the k701's better unamped? I have no amp atm, and probably won't get one for a month or two more, and still want to use phones in the meanwhile. Also, what amps are recommended for the k701's? I see they have a much lower impedance then 600's and many other phones, I was planning on building an M^3, is that a bad idea? How about an Dynalo? Thanks guys!

May 22, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Might be trading my hd-600's (Had them for a month and still no amp for them) for k701's. Are the k701's better unamped? I have no amp atm, and probably won't get one for a month or two more, and still want to use phones in the meanwhile. Also, what amps are recommended for the k701's? I see they have a much lower impedance then 600's and many other phones, I was planning on building an M^3, is that a bad idea? How about an Dynalo? Thanks guys!

I'm ampless right now, listening through my iPod Nano. It's great.

I'm sure an amp will do wonders, but it's perfectly listenable unamped (even for me, strangely). Weird, since I always thought the K701s would sound dreadful unamped, from the general consensus on the forums.

I heard the K701s love tubes though...

May 22, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

I'm ampless right now, listening through my iPod Nano. It's great.

I'm sure an amp will do wonders, but it's perfectly listenable unamped (even for me, strangely). Weird, since I always thought the K701s would sound dreadful unamped, from the general consensus on the forums.

I heard the K701s love tubes though...

Heh, I could build a dynalo, but I was already getign worked up for an M^3. I saw a great photo (google images, k701, large photos only) of k701's with an iPod. I am probably getting a m-audio firewire 410, I bet the dac inside of that isn't bad for now as I am dacless too, and it might not be bad at powering headphones. I am using 600's unamped now, they sound okay, nothing extraordinary, I am a head-fi newb and probably haven't experienced anything yet -- I need an damn amp. I was going to build something this weekend, but stupid holidays and stores closing early on weekends.

Btw, what the hell is a dynamight? Got a link to the design/build? I see it in your sig.

May 22, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #30 of 44
i gotta ask you about that desk, i was thinking of getting a desk similar to that

1. im a messy guy, hows it like about cleaning that desk clean?

2. scratches on the glass? is like an ipod or iaudio when it comes to scratching?

3. you have a link to where i can buy that desk?

4. you think i can see some more pics of that desk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back