AKG K701 Isolation vs HD650?
Mar 10, 2007 at 8:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

OracleGuy

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking about the next upgrade for my work rig. I used to have what's now my home rig (DAC-1/Zu/HD650) at work, but I've since changed jobs and now work in closer proximity my neighbours.

The HD650s leak too much sound when working in close-quarters -- plus I don't want to give them up at home! I was wondering if the AKG cans isolate much better than the 650s, and might be a suitable choice.

I just got the Headroom MicroDac today, and have it teamed up with the Gilmore Lite which has been on the shelf for a while. I've pressed my old HD497s into service, and they actually sound amazingly good (especially considering their price), but I don't find them comfortable enough for extended listening, and of course am itching with upgradeitis ...

The K701s seem to be very well regarded and the price is pretty good. I'm keen to contrast them with the HD650s too.

The other choice in my mind are IEMs; I'm thinking maybe the new Westone 3 might be worth a try.

Suggestions are welcome!

Mar 10, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #2 of 5
Well, in my experience, K701s does isolate better than Hd650. But, still, they are open-aire phones. You know what I mean.

Mar 10, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by OracleGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking about the next upgrade for my work rig. I used to have what's now my home rig (DAC-1/Zu/HD650) at work, but I've since changed jobs and now work in closer proximity my neighbours.

The HD650s leak too much sound when working in close-quarters -- plus I don't want to give them up at home! I was wondering if the AKG cans isolate much better than the 650s, and might be a suitable choice.

I just got the Headroom MicroDac today, and have it teamed up with the Gilmore Lite which has been on the shelf for a while. I've pressed my old HD497s into service, and they actually sound amazingly good (especially considering their price), but I don't find them comfortable enough for extended listening, and of course am itching with upgradeitis ...

The K701s seem to be very well regarded and the price is pretty good. I'm keen to contrast them with the HD650s too.

The other choice in my mind are IEMs; I'm thinking maybe the new Westone 3 might be worth a try.

Suggestions are welcome!

no, you won't get more isolation with the k701's. iem's are definitely a route to consider.

Mar 10, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #4 of 5
The K701 doesn't isolate much, similar to the HD650, and leaks even more sound than the HD650.

They're more suitable in a very quiet environment. Actually, absolute silence would be best, and where the leakage won't bother anyone.

Other than IEMs or earbuds, closed headphones such as the A950LTD, ES7 and HD25-1 are suitable for use in noisy offices.

Mar 10, 2007 at 9:45 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks -- that's kind of what I expected. Some "open" cans do seem to isolate better than others though. My HD497s seem to leak quite a bit less than the HD650s.

At least my office-mate hasn't complained -- but then he doesn't say much anyway.

I think I'm just looking for an excuse to try the K701s!

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards IEMs.

The triple-driver Westone's intrigue me; seems like they might turn out better than either the Shure or UE triple-drivers. Might have to hold off for a few weeks until they actually come out!
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back