AKG K701 improvement over Shure E500?
Nov 20, 2008 at 5:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kingcrib

New Head-Fier
I used to listen to all my music (using headphones) via Creative Zen Xtra to Shure E500 and also have Grado SR80 phones. I am now using the iBasso D3 with USB DAC at home. I love both headphones, and for portable use nothing beats the IEMs. For home, I am thinking of getting the AKG K701 to replace my Grados. I am fed up with the Grado's crappy pads crumbling everywhere and leaving black smudges around my ears. And no, I don't want to buy more pads. But, as the Shures are pretty nice, I am not sure I can rationalize the AKGs. SO this leads to my question:

Anyone out there have both phones (E500 or SE530 and AKG K701) and can give me there insight on any benefit of AKG K701?

My one reservation is some reduced bass on AKG (and spending more money). However, I use my laptop with Foobar 2000, so equalizer could boost the bass a bit. I listen to a broad range of music, Wayne Hancock, Afghan Whigs, Dead Can Dance, some bluegrass, Radiohead, etc. Not much classical.

Nov 20, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #2 of 10
Boy are you in luck
biggrin.gif
Those are my two favorite phones!
I discussed a similar topic in a different thread, and I'll start off with a round of quotes!

"Okay let me start off by saying you are looking at two totally different experiences. The 530s are bassy, have a great mid, are a bit rolled on the highs, but provide a great look into the music, very different from the 701s. The 701s are airy, have a ridiculous soundstage, which makes the 530s sound congested, are a bit bass anemic, but are extremely revealing. Liquid mids, sparkly high, great decay and realism. " -Myinitialsaredac
"I would like to second this opinion. I have been devoted to my SE530s (and E500s before that ) for about 2 or 3 years, and they are ideal for cycling. However, I received my K701s today, along with an SR71a. Even though the amp may not yet be fully burned-in, the difference is marked; the SE530s sound decidedly muddy and closed in comparison to the K701s (which I am absolutely loving by the way, with about three hours on the clock!). I will agree with that the Shures are very detailed, but the K701s simply sparkle and have a wonderful soundstage. I'm not giving up either of them - it's a bit like having two different children who you adore in different ways!" -Philski

Now to kind of sum up some of my other views, the k701s are a classy phone. They compliment the 530s in the way mentioned above (I bolded it). Expect a much larger soundstage, even more refined mids, sparkly highs, and while they are quite a different type of bass (they are a bit bass light) it is tight, punchy, and goes deeper. The 530s sound bloated in comparison, and I really enjoy the difference of going back and forth between these two.
You may want to look into an amp with more male parts if you plan to get the 701s, I doubt you wont like them with the ibasso but they improve with some serious amplification. Also give them a fair amount of burn-in, about 300 hours tends to be the general consensus.

Dave

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 10
I tried Shure E500 at my friend and I like my K701 more due to its open design, more airy, bigger soundstage, which makes me feel very relaxing. this may related to my listen habit: I like to listen to the music while doing something else like surfing the web, so the k701 make me feel the music is surrounding me, not congested in my head. I do think they both are very good headphones.

Nov 21, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #7 of 10
I agree, I have both the SR60 and 701s - they have completely different sound signatures. In any case just buying the 701s wont make you happy if you dont pair it with an amp that suits the 701s, in my opinion it needs a lot of amp to drive the 701s close to its potential..

Nov 22, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #8 of 10
If you really want to compare a can and IEM, I'll say that the K701 is closer to the ER-4. The K701 is a great can, while some ppl say the bass isn't fantastic, that is a pure matter of opinion, and i can tell you for sure is that the bass extension is just heavenly.

Word of warning though, if you intend to use your amp you use for the shure's to drive the can, forget about the K701. It doesn't sound good without proper amplification. But when you feed it the juice, it will really sing.

Nov 24, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #9 of 10
Thank you for the input. I think I will stay away from the AKGs. But, now I considering the Beyerdynamic DT880s. After a lot of reading here at Head-Fi I think they be the best for my taste.

Dec 13, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #10 of 10
Just a follow-up - got the Beyer DT880 250 ohm. I am extremely satisfied. They are definitely worth the extra cash compared to the E500 and Grado SR80s. They are really a best of both phones. They are less fatiguing than the SR80s. I appreciate the forwardness of the Grados, but after 30 minutes they start giving me a headache due to the highs. The E500s are laid back compared to the DT880s, and the sound doesn't have the "airiness". With the DT880s, I was initially concerned because they were actually more fatiguing than the Grados, but I was using them with a Sony portable CDP and iBasso D3. Then I switched to using the DAC with my laptop, and all the irritation went away but kept the crystalline separation. I was listening to Explosions In the Sky which has sections with nonstop drunk-monkey-banging loud cymbals. With my portable CDP it was truly painful at any volume. With the DAC and laptop - it was very listenable. I can't speak on "soundstage" which is a concept that does not make sense to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back