AKG K701 first impressions from a Grado user
Apr 26, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #16 of 30
Yeah that K701 paired with the B-52 was very nice. I didn't really think much of it when it was paired with other amps though
frown.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #17 of 30
Yes, thanks for the impressions. I've liked my grados/alessandros but the purported soundstage on these guys is incredibly appealing to me, as most of my music is instrumental and a good portion of it is live!

Apr 26, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #18 of 30
I've been considering selling my RS-1's and getting another pair of K701's. I love my RS-1's but I've been missing the K701's since I sold them. I could also use the extra cash and I'd like to eventually pick up a nicer, older pair of RS-1's in the future. The K701's really impressed me back when I was just using them with my Corda Aria as source and amp. I can only imagine what they'd sound like now that I've upgraded both my source and amp.

Apr 26, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DO IT,you'll be a happy man!
biggrin.gif

wow....that was REALLY convincing....no joke. now i'm really considering it. how much do they go for cause i got my dt880's for $220 shipped

Apr 27, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by XENOPHOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow....that was REALLY convincing....no joke. now i'm really considering it. how much do they go for cause i got my dt880's for $220 shipped

If you paid that used (I don't know the 880 market right now), you might be able to do a straight up trade. If you are really curious, put up a request thread to see if someone will let you borrow their set or find someone in your area with them. Shouldn't be too hard. :)

Apr 27, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #23 of 30
I have just listened to a pair of K701s.... Bloody hell, these are great cans! I'm just getting into the sound of my balanced HD650s and now I'm thinking of buying balanced K701s to compliment my HD650s. This hobby is nuts!

Apr 27, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #24 of 30
anybody own both the DT880 and the K701 and can make some comments comparing them? Getting my DT880s probably tomorrow in the mail (hopefully!
biggrin.gif
).

Apr 27, 2007 at 10:41 AM Post #26 of 30
i have listened the k701 at the shop and they sounds sweet and smooth with female voice compare to the senn hd600 which i got to compare sounds a bit grainy on the voice.

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by XENOPHOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Try finding a decent pair of the FS forum usual price is in the mid $200s... New, I would try bhphoto, they have decent prices..

Apr 27, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anybody own both the DT880 and the K701 and can make some comments comparing them? Getting my DT880s probably tomorrow in the mail (hopefully!
biggrin.gif
).

I had both the DT880's (2003 250ohm) and K701's for about a month. With my Corda Aria, I found the DT880's treble piercing. It was harsh and sibilant, yet sounded clear as water. When I went from my HD595's to my K701's, it was then I realized what veil was. Going from the K701's to the DT880's was not as significant, but it was like another layer was removed. The clarity of the DT880's are phenomenal.

I felt the DT880's had a decent soundstage. It was nowhere as wide or deep as the K701's, but it was enough to not fell closed in. It has just as much detail as my K701's (if not more - explained in the next paragraph), and has great instrument seperation. Some passages I listen to with my HD595's sounds like one long continuous note while the DT880's and K701's reveal it's one not struck many times (take a cymbol for example - one long tapppppppp or tap~tap~tap~tap). I can't guage timber (generally) or a few other criteria because I've simply never heard many instruments live before, so I have nothing to compare them to.

Now on to the simple stuff. The midrange felt a little distant compared to the K701's. I feel the 701's have an intimate midrange that just welcomes you to listen to them. It's smooth, yet textured. Diana Krall's voice is so inviting, yet you still hear the graininess/raspiness of her voice. With the DT880's, I hear the texture of her voice, but it's just not inviting, it doesn't draw me in like the K701's. Bass was lighter on the DT880's, but that could be due to the treble emphasis. I don't have a spl meter, so I highly doubt I listened to them level matched. Due to this, part of me thinks I found the bass to be a bit lacking due to me listening lower because of the piercing highs. Same goes for detail, does it sound more detailed because of the treble emphasis? =T Sorry for not comparing them on equal footing.

I listened to some Jazz, 1 or 2 Classical pieces, Rock, Rap, and alot of Chinese pop/melodramatic drama OST's (=[ I don't know why I like them so much). I find the DT880's impeccable for string instruments. String quartets sound amazing. I've grown up listening to violin soloists and so far, the DT880's are as close to real as I've heard. I also found Rock to sound more interesting than with the K701's. The K701's to me are relaxed and a bit unexciting, and Rock has always been my main complaint with them. The DT880's sound quicker (attack?) and more upbeat. With this said, I generally listen to femail Chinese pop, and I can't get over how great the K701's sound with female vocals. :701smile:

Now... with the Darkvoice 332 and Constantine+... that's another story and I need to listen to them more to judge anything. But I can say that treble harshness/sibilance is all gone from the brief listening I got last week.

Hope this helped.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try finding a decent pair of the FS forum usual price is in the mid $200s... New, I would try bhphoto, they have decent prices..

Northern Sound & Lights has it for $244 shipped if I'm not mistaken.

Apr 27, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
).

I owned both for a very long time. I currently have 701s (i traded the DT880s for them straight up.) In my opinion, the k70s do everything better than the dt880s. More bass, better sound stage, less bright, still just as, if not more, detailed.

That being said, my only source/amp has been an ipod>bithead. Plus, the person i traded with is VERY happy with the dt880s as well.

Both are good all around. I think dt880s work better for classical (they sound a bit more natural and less metallic.) Neither are great rock cans, everytime I listen to rock guitar I miss my Grado Sr80. I will certainly get a 225 or something someday to complement. Most of my listening isnt heavy rock, so I am fine for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back