AKG k701 + C&C XO Amp. Good idea? Bad idea?
May 13, 2007 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sschmeichel

Head-Fier
I have a pair of k701s, but I would really like just a touch more bass on them...

I am looking for a portable headamp to go with the k701. Reviews here have suggested that an amp with tube like qualities is suitable for this pair of headphones... and then reading the headamp round up thread, it seems the C&C XO exhibits some tube like characteristics, plus it looks like it can give a bit more bass to the phones...

Would the c&c xo give the k701 more bass without making it sound like crap?

Will it do a better job than my current little dot micro+ (it better...)?

I cannot fork out the cash for RSA stuff or Larocco (spelling) stuff... i am looking for a portable headamp in the $150USD-$250USD range...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for helping out the newbie! (I apologize for repeating threads, if the question has already been asked... but I have spent the past 3 days reading already...)

May 13, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 12
Could be an excellent idea. The C&C XO has as many as 12 matched transistors that make the output buffers, hence is very powerful with heavy loads. With the LDM+ there should be no comparison.

May 13, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 12
You could also take a look at the SuperMicro IV or the RSA Tomahawk
tongue.gif

Beware though, the SuperMicro IV takes 4 months to arrive and Xin's service can be frustrating. I just ordered my amp a few minutes ago. I emailed Xin and he finally replied AFTER I ordered my amp haha.

May 13, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenGod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could also take a look at the SuperMicro IV or the RSA Tomahawk
tongue.gif

Those 12 discrete transistors will drive the K701 better than any opamp.
tongue.gif

May 13, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #8 of 12
I have a RSA Hornet amp and am receiving brand new K701 tomorrow. I could detail how they sound together for you when the cans arrive, but it probably wouldn't be perfectly accurate since both the Hornet and K701 are new and not burned in.

May 14, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sschmeichel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
on a technical note, what's a discrete transistor? (i know i sound like an a student asking a teacher "what's a pencil"?)

thanks all for the reply!

In layman terms (not an EE myself) it's the "cell" of solid-state electronics. It's the active electronic component that actually amplifies a signal. Opamps and all sorts of integrated chips are made with dozens of transistors. Problem is, the output transistors (i.e. those that drive the load attached to the opamp) that are inside opamps are comparatively weak (low current handling), depending on the specific opamp. Moreover, opamps can't be easily paralleled to increase their current handling, whereas discrete transistors can be (see the 12 transistors of the C&C).

May 14, 2007 at 10:45 AM Post #10 of 12
Thanks elbrickodaviso, see if the k701 lack of bass can be slightly compensated by the Hornet, its suppose to do wonders...

i know k701 is not a basshead phone, but i really feel it is a bigtime drawback of the k701. my k701s are new too... but even if the burn-in makes a difference, i know the bass will still not be enuf to please my ears. So I hope the addition of a good amp with some "bass gain" (did i use the words right?) could help give it the touch that I feel it needs.

With a good tube-like portable amp, i hope the phones will sound warmer too
smily_headphones1.gif

Moloko, thank you for your explanation. I know what a transistor is... But... hehe... what's an opamp? Sorry total dumb*****.

But from what i can gather from your explanation (you explantion was good, its just the guy you are talking to is not the brightest), discrete transistors allow better current handling compared to opamps because they can be paralleled, where as opamps, which are made of a network of transistors cannot. The drive of greater current flow is what allows the amp to actually do its task... and make things louder?

So 12 transistors in parallel = lots of current delivery at the same time = better music?

I assume "bass compensation" means i get more bass? from the c&c xo website... http://www.headb.com/xo/index.html ???

May 22, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #12 of 12
Wow... hehe i got my c&c xo today. I still haven't burnt in my k701s yet...

but with the low freq. compensation with this amp... and even without... the LF compensation, the k701 does not lack in bass anymore. it doesn't have that "dud" of some other headphones... but it gives a very nice, clean and true balanced representation of the bass instruments. they no longer sound like then are standing too far back.

Another tech question.. whats a "gain"?

i think this is a great amp to go with the k701. but i recommend driving the phones set on high impedence mode. that's when the true strength of XO and the k701 are felt... .. the headphones feel like they've got balls! They are a very solid combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back