AKG K701: Burn-in from bass port?
Jun 12, 2016 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Pana Sonic

Head-Fier
Didn't want to necro the 21-page Q701 bass port mod thread, so I started this thread.

Well I tried the bass port mod on my K701 yesterday and was shocked at how much bass it delivered. It was almost unbearable! It really made Overwatch feel like a battlefield! But more importantly, it felt like it brought the brightness of the K701 down. Not that the tonality was horrible before, but it feels a bit more correct to me now.

Later in the day, it seemed like the bass wasn't overpowering anymore. Perhaps it was just the stuff I was listening to. Not sure yet if it affected the soundstage or resolution.

This morning, I tried playing Overwatch again. The hell? What happened to all the bass? It sounded like I never modded it! Oh well, atleast the brightness is gone too. But now I'm starting to notice harsh sounds, kinda like listening to a radio with bad reception. Unlike sibilance, this seems to happen across all frequencies. Perhaps it is placebo from paranoia? Maybe I'm not aware of how poorly mastered my sources are?

I get the feeling this is an effect of burn-in due to the driver specifically being able to push air through the bass port now. But it seems a little too quick to me.

So has anyone had similar experiences with this mod? Did the bass settle down over time? Was there any new harshness/graininess? Any changes to the detail/resolution?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back