akg k612 with vintage system
Oct 20, 2014 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

wildreef

New Head-Fier
so I'm wondering if I get the AKG k612 can I run it off of my vintage Technics SA 600 receiver without a dedicated headphone amp at least for now if i need 1 at all its for my record collection so no dac required any help would be awesome thanks

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 12
so I'm wondering if I get the AKG k612 can I run it off of my vintage Technics SA 600 receiver without a dedicated headphone amp at least for now if i need 1 at all its for my record collection so no dac required any help would be awesome thanks

I would expect that amp to drive the K612s with no trouble at all.

Oct 20, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks for the reply i thought it might but just wanted to be sure so many people say they need a amp

They do need and amp to sound their best (I used to own the K601, which is esentially the same as the K612), that's correct. If you think about it, though, your Technics receiver is an amp (and a pretty powerful one too!)

The headphone-out of the average integrated amplifier is usually plenty powerful enough to drive full-size headphones. 

Oct 20, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for the reply i thought it might but just wanted to be sure so many people say they need a amp

The Technic SA-600 receiver should have more then enough power to drive the 120-Ohm AKG K612 Pro headphones.
Chances are it uses the same amplifier that drives the speakers, to also drive headphones.
But as chances are the Technics headphone output will have a high output impedance, it might give the K612 Pros a bloated (louder, less detailed) bass.
You will not know for sure until you plug the K612s into the SA-600.

Oct 20, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 12
I did try it out once with my audio Technica IM-70 iem's I don't remember the sound changing too much but it was quite a bit louder I'm going to have to go back and try again now see if I notice anything like that

Oct 20, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 12
I did try it out once with my audio Technica IM-70 iem's I don't remember the sound changing too much but it was quite a bit louder I'm going to have to go back and try again now see if I notice anything like that

IEMs like the 10-Ohm Audio Technica IM-70 may not be good headphones for judging the headphone output on the SA-600 receiver.
I would assume the IM-70s would sound better plugged into a portable audio player or smartphone.

The FiiO E11K headphone amplifier is only $60, should do a good job of driving the K612 Pros and the IM-70s.

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #9 of 12
I was eyeing the FiiO E18 since I have the LG G2 it should work with my phone

If the E18 will work with the LG G2, cool, you'll get some great audio quality for any headphone or IEM you plug into it.

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #11 of 12
You don't happen to know if I could use the USB in on the E18 with my PlayStation or does it have to be optical

I'm guessing the Playstation might not have drivers for connecting the USB on the E18 to the Playstation.
Optical is easier, but unless the device your plugging to the optical on the Playstation comes with DDL (Dolby Digital Live), it will be 2-channel stereo audio (no headphone surround sound)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back