AKG K612 Pro /w SB Z, but what amp?
Jan 11, 2015 at 6:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Phukka

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've finally decided on the headphones I'll get - AKG K612 Pro and have already ordered the SB Z sound card, but what amp would you suggest I buy to improve the headphones?

Cheers!

Jan 11, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #3 of 7
  I've finally decided on the headphones I'll get - AKG K612 Pro and have already ordered the SB Z sound card, but what amp would you suggest I buy to improve the headphones?

For now just plug the K612's straight into the SB-Z's headphone jack.

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #4 of 7

For now just plug the K612's straight into the SB-Z's headphone jack.

What I need to do for now, but want to get an amp in the near future. Ended up having to get the K701's as the K612's wouldn't ship to France. I was looking at £40-50 for the Amp
   I would prefer you to get a DAC more............

I use it for gaming so need to use the sound card for positional sounds.

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 7
  What I need to do for now, but want to get an amp in the near future. Ended up having to get the K701's as the K612's wouldn't ship to France. I was looking at £40-50 for the Amp

Plug the K701s straight into the SB-Z's headphone jack.

A FiiO E11K amp is within your budget.
Or a "made in China" tube amplifer (bought off eBay).

But not sure how much better a 50 GBP amplifier would have, over the amplifier built into the SB-Z

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #6 of 7

Plug the K701s straight into the SB-Z's headphone jack.

A FiiO E11K amp is within your budget.
Or a "made in China" tube amplifer (bought off eBay).

But not sure how much better a 50 GBP amplifier would have, over the amplifier built into the SB-Z

Thanks again, I was actually looking the the E11K amp. I will see how the headphones sound using just the sound card and see whether I think it's worthwhile or necessary to buy an amp after.

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #7 of 7
The K612s should sound fine with the SB-Z. However, the K612s are fairly inefficient headphone, which means the SB-Z might reach it's limits if you run them very loud. Best to wait and see. If you find you are cranking them up about as loud as they can go, an amp could help with the dynamics and/or certainly could help them to go louder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back