AKG K612 Pro, AKG Q701, or Sennheiser HD 598?
May 13, 2016 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ManiacDC

New Head-Fier
Hello, I've been looking into headphones to replace my current Monoprice 8323 headphones.

I mainly will be using them for PC gaming and listening to music. I tend to listen to trance/edm and metal; but some classical, pop, rap/hip-hop, and soft rock sometimes too.
I have a Sound Blaster Z which I plan on using for my AMP/DAC.
I have a pretty small head and my ears are not large either.
My budget is under $200, but preferably under $150.

I think I've narrowed down my choices to either the AKG K612 Pro, the AKG Q701, or the Sennheiser HD 598. Given my use case, which of these do you think would be best? (or even, is there a better one that I'm missing)

Thank you!

May 13, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #2 of 14
Q701 are a bit bass light for rap/hip hop and EDM, IMO. Plus, I found them to be a touch bright for my tastes (you might like them). So I ended up with the K612 which had better bass extension and a bit more neutral on the highs. However, ended up eventually upgrading to the AKG K7XX. Better overall better sounding headphone than K612 with a bit more warmth--just sounds more naturally balanced--and easier to drive. Learn more here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/743280/the-akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-thread I think you could like them and their $200 price is a steal, IMO.

May 13, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #4 of 14
The other thing about the Q701s is that their soundstage to me was a bit too big. Sometimes it would seem surreal, unnatural. They seem to appeal most to people that tend towards a brighter headphone with a bit airier sound that aren't looking for OK bass extension, which you definitely will want with your music tastes. The K7XX also have very good bass extension. Their measurements show that they don't start to roll off until 40hz, and then are only 5db down by 20hz. That's better than most tower speakers that people have.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK7XX.pdf

So for middle of the road, a headphone that a lot of people seem to like, I would definitely recommend the K7XX over the Q701 and K612. A lot of people like the HD598s, too, but I find them a bit reserved, and they also roll off much higher in the bass. So for EDM and hip hop/rap, I think you'd do better with the K7XX.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD598.pdf

May 13, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #5 of 14
I also agree the K7XX is a great headphone for the price,however theyre not easy to drive.

Of all the headphones I own only my HE-500s are harder to drive,and not by much.

May 13, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 14
+1 AKG K7XX :)

Yesterday I received some almost new 32-Ohm Soundmagic HP200 headphones (easier to drive then the K7XX).
I would say audio quality wise they are a match for the K7XX,
but not as big of a surround sound feeling.
Planning on replacing the HP200's stock ear pads, with thicker ones, need more space between my ears and the diaphragm.

May 14, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 14
One more that I don't think has been mentioned that may be of interest is the HE400S. Largely neutral-sounding can with outstanding treble extension and a ginormous soundstage (wider than the 400i IMO) and just a very natural, musical sig. Bass is a bit rolled off but that can be largely ameliorated by switching out pads to Focus A (there are others as well). HE400S is worth checking out.

May 16, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 14
Get HD598, forward sounding, bassy, doesn't need an amp, great vocals, great comfort, MAN I don't know what else to tell you.

But from your descriptions I suggest you to try some DT770/DT880/DT990.

If you want sealed bassy headphones, get DT770. If you want a balanced semi-open headphone, get DT880. If you want bassy semi-open headphone, get DT990.

Hope it helps 
wink_face.gif

May 18, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #9 of 14
Thanks! The HE400S seems a bit out of my price range.

I looked at the BeyerDynamic DT headphones, but I had already ruled them out because of the sibilance issue and the V sound balance, but thank you!

May 18, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #10 of 14
Maybe you should look into Sony headphones, they tend to be warm sounding, but most time they are slow in the bass area :santa_tone5:

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #13 of 14
In my experience the K612's often quoted difficult to power reputation is a bit exaggerated. OK, I'm sure that with a top of the range Astell and Kern DAP and an expensive headphone amplifier It will sound much better than it does on my iPod classic and Topping NX-1 via LOD L9, but I have to say that it sounds very good to me even on that humble combination. I can enjoy the music with great detail, even response, good strong bass and decent soundstage at loud enough volume levels. Just my two pennyworth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back