AKG K612 or Beyerdynamic dt880?($200ish open back decision)
May 29, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #31 of 36

I'd see if you can get an extended audition with the DT880 first - as it'll give you a really good idea of what to expect.  If the DT800 really is appealing - then look to the T1.  You can often puick them up in the FS sections on Head-Fi in the USD 650-750 range (and most people I know baby their gear).

BTW - DT880 vs T1 - that link will give you an idea of what to expect.

Another great comparison Brooko, thanks. On this point "I am not treble sensitive (at all), and in the past have really enjoyed headphones like the K701, SR325i, and of course the DT880." That is my only concern which has kept me from pulling the trigger on the 880 all this time. I am sensitive to treble, particularly the DT 990 Pro I recall was a nightmare for me. I hear the 880 is more neutral than the 990 but is still brighter than the HD 600 which to my ears might be an issue. Then again the K612 is a tad brighter than the HD600 but never caused fatigue. I would love to audition them but no store around me carries them.

May 29, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #32 of 36
You need to see if you can get to a local Head-Fi Meet Rigo.  That would be the best place probably to demo some of this gear.

But yes - if you do find yourself sensitive to treble then maybe most of the Beyers may be a little hot for you.  The 880 is nowhere near as bright as the 990 though.

May 29, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #33 of 36
  You need to see if you can get to a local Head-Fi Meet Rigo.  That would be the best place probably to demo some of this gear.

But yes - if you do find yourself sensitive to treble then maybe most of the Beyers may be a little hot for you.  The 880 is nowhere near as bright as the 990 though.

Thats a fine idea. I didn't know there was such a thing. I just found one in my city this Sunday. I already see an 880 on the list. I might just have to go check this out.

May 29, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #34 of 36
Thats a fine idea. I didn't know there was such a thing. I just found one in my city this Sunday. I already see an 880 on the list. I might just have to go check this out.

Oh, you definitely should go. Even if you can only make it for an hour or so. You'll get to try all kinds of good stuff. :)

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #35 of 36
Got the chance to demo my friends dt880's on his schiit vali  the other day. (I was using my ipod nano as the source so I could use my music-he doesn't have a dac- not the best but it sufficed) I quite liked it. The treble wasn't peaky and piercing to me at all and I found it to be great. I quite liked them overall. I believe I am going to get a pair of 880's, and eventually a vali/modi stack.

Jun 3, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #36 of 36
  Got the chance to demo my friends dt880's on his schiit vali  the other day. (I was using my ipod nano as the source so I could use my music-he doesn't have a dac- not the best but it sufficed) I quite liked it. The treble wasn't peaky and piercing to me at all and I found it to be great. I quite liked them overall. I believe I am going to get a pair of 880's, and eventually a vali/modi stack.

I tested it last weekend at the Head-Fi meet on my TEAC. It was brighter but I think it's not going to be fatiguing for me. I would need more time with it to be sure. I found the T1, which I also tried, to be even brighter than the 880 and was irritating for me. However, the 600Ohm Premium version pushed my amp to over 80% capacity. Since the 880 Pro 250Ohm version is cheaper and sounds nearly identical I would likely go with that to ensure amplification will not be an issue. That being said, I still maintain that the K612 at $130 offers a better value vs the DT 880 pro at $230, not to mention the premium at $300. Now the 880 vs my HD 600 to my ears was not as revealing or natural, and at it's sale price of around $260 I recommend the 600 over the 880.

If your going to spend $300 on the premium 880 you may as well go up to the HD 650 for a mere $50 more. Or even the HiFiman HE-400. Those are easier to drive than the 880 premium and in my opinion sound better than all the headphones mentioned here, but they are pretty heavy on the head. Surprisingly my TEAC could drive the HE-400 without at hitch around 12 to 1'oclock on the dial. The HE-400's are surprisingly musical and have a very full and rich bass I've never experienced on an open-back headphone. I managed to audition the HD 800 and despite having an amazing soundstage and being more comfortable, I think the HE-400 offers a better overall package and value. I didn't find the HD 800 offered enough to justify upgrading from my HD 600. But the HE-400 is tempting. If you like full, accurate bass you will love them.

PS: As mentioned before you can't really go wrong with any of them. This is just my 2 cents having experienced them all on my setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back