AKG K601
Mar 3, 2008 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Kaoru

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone~! First of all, my apologies if i somehow posted this in the wrong place or not having to read enough of what i should of read, etc.
To my help request though, i recently bought myself a set of AKG K601 and i realised afterward that i needed an amp to drive the thing -_-;;
It was bit of a jump for me from a Sony MDR-EX70 to the AKG, i've had a look around and did some searches but yet i've no idea what's best, etc..
I was looking in the components but got told to get tube amps instead?
Thanks in advance for any helps.

PS: Oops, forgot to mention; as of yet, please list whatever is recommended or just comments are welcome, as i want to see what are available and for comparison. Though i ain't rich so i guess i'll get the bottom to average prices?

Mar 3, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #2 of 29
Budget?

Welcome to Head-fi, sorry for your wallet!

Mar 3, 2008 at 8:31 AM Post #3 of 29
I guess this is the correct forum, just the title maybe a bit confusing.

Before You list your current source, I will try to make some assumptions.(sources can be ipod, cdp, usb dac, etc)

I don't know any tubed portable amp, so I guess you're looking for non-portable. Then, it will depend on you source. Synergy is very important in a system. You may need to save for an source upgrade because what is lost in the source is lost. Amp doesn't add anything into the sound. A non-line level output to an amp really isn't doing much improvement in sound, to my ears.
and again since you said you were using EX70, I'll guess you use computer as a source. Try to find a DAC/AMP combo for your PC then.

Mar 3, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 29
Sorry about that~
As for my source.. it's pretty much like you said, computer~ though i am no ipod fan... still using MiniDiscs but realised how powerless they were when i got K601 -_-
Well, i am not after anything portable; since i want to make full use of amp for long er duration or purposes instead of a short term one.
My sources are~ PC, MD, PSP... or should i be upgrading my source to something better? or proper?
Thanks again.

Max.

Mar 3, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 29
When I first got mine, I drove them with a Practical Devices XM4 which is a portable amp. I now drive them with a NAD integrated amp I got at Goodwill and it was definitely a step up. They did sound good out of the XM4, just better out of the NAD.

Last week, I ordered the new Sonic Impact V2 T amp that has a headphone jack. They're $50 at Parts Express. When I get it, I plan on posting how my headphones sound with it.

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by zillac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know any tubed portable amp, so I guess you're looking for non-portable. Then, it will depend on you source. Synergy is very important in a system. You may need to save for an source upgrade because what is lost in the source is lost. Amp doesn't add anything into the sound. A non-line level output to an amp really isn't doing much improvement in sound, to my ears.
and again since you said you were using EX70, I'll guess you use computer as a source. Try to find a DAC/AMP combo for your PC then.

Thank you for your input zillac, to me that was very educational.
What tubed amps, and what sort of a source upgrade would you recommend?
I guess i'm using the pc as my source is because i've got everything there; apart from that i guess i've only my cds, dvds; nothing SACD, Blu-Ray, HD.
As zillac said for a DAC/AMP combo, i guess i'm looking at the iBasso D1 at the moment; though want to see what options there are for me in the tubed amps and the source upgrade.
Thanks again.

Max.

Mar 5, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 29
I never listened to a K601, but my K340 and K501 both sound decently on tubed amp (custom built).
Good thing about portable amps is that you can also use it with the line out from your MD players (some are pretty decent). so you don't stuck with a desktop setup
The price of a USB dac range from $80 ~ $1000+. A nice sound card (maybe an external, like E-MU 0404 USB) will also do the job. Just avoid the on-board ones.

Sorry that I couldn't give you information on specific models to look at : |

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 29
My 601's sounded great out of an Eddie Current EC/SS, but not as good
out of Darkvoice 336i. I loved the DV but it didn't seem to drive the AKG's as well. So my advice is, if you go with a tube amp, go with something which is able to drive headphones on the lower impedance end of the spectrum.

Mar 10, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

I never listened to a K601, but my K340 and K501 both sound decently on tubed amp (custom built).

I see~
Well, when it comes to amps i am a total nub; i don't suppose i could trouble you to take a photo of your tubed amp so i get a rough idea what tubed amps look like?
Quote:

Good thing about portable amps is that you can also use it with the line out from your MD players (some are pretty decent). so you don't stuck with a desktop setup

True, but i just don't want to be stuck with the portable side of amps; as i've been told their limits and i'm keen to explorer the more proper standard amps. ?
I mean the components, etc.. though unsure how they'll stack on the price range~

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaughn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 601's sounded great out of an Eddie Current EC/SS, but not as good out of Darkvoice 336i. I loved the DV but it didn't seem to drive the AKG's as well.

Well, thanks for the advice there Vaughn. I had a look of the Eddie Current EC/SS amp you mentioned, it's double the cost comparing to iBasso D1 i mentioned in my previous post, i guess it should be twice as good? lol..
Bumped into the next thing up from Eddie Current - ZANA DEUX and the only word i've left in my mind's ".W.O.W."~
Though paying like $2000 and waiting for 8-12 weeks... hmm....
I guess i'll be sticking with either the iBasso D1 or the Eddie Current EC/SS for starters and then upgrade myself as i progress later on?

Mar 10, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 29
I'm enjoying the iBasso D1 and K601 combination right now, but when I get the money I plan to use the D1 as a dac only and buy a Gilmore Lite w/Power Supply for my amp. From what I've read, it seems like Headamp pairs well with AKGs. I'm not sure what your budget is, but if you have the money you could look into the Headamp GS-1 as well.

Mar 10, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by trb36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm enjoying the iBasso D1 and K601 combination right now, but when I get the money I plan to use the D1 as a dac only and buy a Gilmore Lite w/Power Supply for my amp. From what I've read, it seems like Headamp pairs well with AKGs. I'm not sure what your budget is, but if you have the money you could look into the Headamp GS-1 as well.

I guess if i were to buy a low budget one then off i go to get the iBasso D1, i would probably skip the Gilmore Lite since it's like $100 up from the D1 and save up for the GS-1?
Since the GS-1 is like $849, and the Gilmore Lite's $379~
Thanks for that trb36.

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #13 of 29
A $300 home amp is not the same as a $300 portable amp. With that said, I think a normal GLite would be a good choice, but if you're going to get the DPS you might want to save up for the GS-1?

Mar 11, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaoru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess if i were to buy a low budget one then off i go to get the iBasso D1, i would probably skip the Gilmore Lite since it's like $100 up from the D1 and save up for the GS-1?
Since the GS-1 is like $849, and the Gilmore Lite's $379~
Thanks for that trb36.

To clarify, I wouldn't consider the D1 and Gilmore Lite "either/or" options, because the D1 is known for its digital-analog converter (DAC), although it also has a headphone amplifier built in. The Gilmore Lite is only a headphone amplifier. I haven't heard the Gilmore Lite, but I am comfortable in saying that it's amp is much better than the amp in the D1.

If you were to go for a dedicated home-amplifier like the Gilmore Lite or GS-1, I would highly suggest budgeting for a DAC as well, because those amps wouldn't sound very good plugged into the headphone-out on your computer.

The reason I went for the D1 was because I couldn't afford either a DAC or the Gilmore Lite, so I figured I could use the D1 as a DAC/amp for a while, and then use it only as a DAC when I saved up for a home-amp.

So again, it all depends on your budget. If you're willing to spend $500 or more, you could get a decent home amp as well as a decent DAC. If not, I really think the D1 is a great option, because it allows you room to upgrade in the future.

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #15 of 29
I pointed out some K601 amp condiderations in:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/bud...5/#post3897665

HeadAmp specs their Gilmore Lite output swing at 15 Vpp => 5.3 Vrms

looking at the circuit I think this could really be the clipping limit - the Lite circuit is very wasteful of supply V

the K601 specs 101 dB/V

5.3 Vrms gives ~ +14 dB power re 1 Vrms

this gives ~ 115 dB SPL at HeadAmp's output V swing spec

Probably good enough for most listening, but “rocking out” at live event levels could still clip

see the original article for Gilmore's own suggestion to raise the supply V - the Gilmore Class A was intended as a 32 Ohm headphone amp – perhaps Justin could mod one for higher V

try forum Search function >Advanced Search, key words: K601, check "in titles only" and select amp forum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back