AKG K601 vs Senn HD595
Jun 6, 2007 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ShanDo

New Head-Fier
hello,

for about half a year i have been thinking of buying my first hi-end headphones.
i was really about to buy HD595, but then a read topic here, and there were few times said, that HD595 were flimsy and i dont think i will buy headphones every 2 years.
So now I am hesitant about the HD595, and the next candidate is AKG K601.
But they are more expensive, and it seems they really need an amp(and i think in a half year i wont buy any)
Maybe u can advice me something... i listen to classical music only.

Jun 6, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 10
I've dropped the 595s a couple of times with no ill effects. True, they are light and bendy but I think they're designed to be so. That's an advantage in some ways because they have just the right amount of clamp. I'm never worried that mine will fall apart or break in any places.

Jun 7, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #7 of 10
thanks for answers,
none of my friends have these headphones so i cannot check it out, i can only rely on forums and people´s opinions.
i think i will go for them and risk it(maybe there is acctualy no risk at all)

someone was asking about bugdet-its about $180/145€(so someone has better suggestion than HD595?)

second think: i am going to buy the 50 Ohm version.
somewhere around here i read that its no problem to "give a life" to these headphones and someone recommended a high-voltage amp for HD595.
what is high voltage amp?

Jun 7, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 10
Hello,

I own HD-590 phones and Grado SR-225 too. My audiophile knowledge is very limited but i've spent several hours listening to these cans and i know them pretty well.

I listen occasionally to classical music and the soundstage and details provided by the HD-590 are impressive, especially on strings (it's a very similar model compared to the HD-595). The Grado SR-225 on the other hand is not spacious enough and it lacks in reproducing the textures of acoustic instruments.

I haven't tried any AKG so i can't say, but i don't think you can go wrong with the HD-595, in doubt try the HD-600 instead, if your aim is classical don't overlook the Sennheiser phones, and especially the HD-590 because it was created with classical music in mind.

Jun 7, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #9 of 10
This is just what I've heard around the forums, but for classical music only I would recommend trying to find a pair of HD580s or HD600s. These were designed with classical/jazz in mind, and would suit your musical preferences better. I own the HD595s and they have an upfront vocal presentation and their soundstage is not very wide (albeit with good front/back depth). I'm sure you would find the HD580/600s more satisfying for classical.

Just a plug, however, if you're still interested in purchasing the HD595s because they're easier to drive, I'm selling my pair, which I've used for only three weeks, for a great price. As soon as I've got enough posts, I will sell on the for-sale forums. (Forum members, if I'm not allowed to post this here, I will remove it.)

Jun 9, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #10 of 10
but its good when the soundstage is in front, isnt it?

now i have a chance to buy HD580, but i live in Europe and that guy bought them in USA, so dunno what about warranty, the headphones are old one year, but if something screws up...
hmmm i have to think about it
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back