AKG K601 or Beyer DT880?
Apr 21, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get a new set of phones and was wondering if anybody can compare or recommend one of these (or something else, I'm open) to me.

What I listen to is: Classic Rock, Jazz, Jam Band, Fusion, some stuff along the rock/pop border.
tongue.gif

I want something with sweet mids, smooth highs (I can't stand shouty, screechy, piercing highs) and an accurate but present bottom end.

Despite my rock tendencies, I like a pretty big soundstage, good instrument seperation, and a detailed sound. It doesn't have to be perfectly neutral, but sounding natural is a must.

Remember, the midrange is where the music lives....
wink.gif

Thanks in advance!!

Midrange?
501/Sextett 240/340..Best bang for the buck mid range cans IMO..

Apr 21, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought it is common knowledge that HD580 and HD600 use EXACTLY same drivers in very same frame, just different colors and HD 600 has better "breathing", less acoustically reflective metal grill. Other than the difference grill causes, they should be exactly same. Switch the grill of HD580 to HD600 one and we should have functionally identical headphones. Same frame, same drivers, same grill, same cables, one just has candy colors.

Same drivers mean nothing in the whole scheme of things..

Apr 21, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Thanks for all the input everyone. I should update my profile/sig because I just had to sell the 650.
frown.gif

I really liked it but it did get a little boring after awhile. I know I need to get an amp, but there really is no budget for one right now. I have an integrated amp that has a descent headphone out, but it's in the living room...not where I listen to music.

Maybe there is a phone out there that is a upper end phone, that doesn't require an amp, and is cheap... under $200.

No.. But good mid tier cans..

Apr 21, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, I read the same thing as MaZa multiple times, its just the grill. Anyway Tfarney, if you are turning down the treble, I would not recommend the dt880 or k701, cause that was the exact reason why I picked my 601. Rounded off trebles can be a really good thing
biggrin.gif

Down sometimes, up sometmes. Depends on the mixing and mastering of the recordings. But the 580s are definitely a bit rolled-off in the highs. In an alternative, I'll be looking for something with a bit more extended highs and forward upper mids. I will obviously play glaring, treble-hyped modern recordings on the Senns. Probably with some treble rolled off to boot.

Tim

Apr 21, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same drivers mean nothing in the whole scheme of things..

True IF the frames and dampening would be different. Good example would be Ultrasone Edition 9 and Proline 750, two headphones with same drivers, but should sound nothing alike due to different frames and dampening. But this isnt a case with HD580 and HD600, is it?

Apr 23, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so what is everyone's final recommendation (k601 vs dt 880) is the build quality of the k601 any good?

I don't know about the DT-880, but I did listen to a DT-860. The build quality of the DT-860 disappointed me. The K601 feels much better. I must note that the DT-860 and the DT-880 may be very different beasts, I really don't know. Maybe someone can comment...

Apr 23, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by verbaan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about the DT-880, but I did listen to a DT-860. The build quality of the DT-860 disappointed me. The K601 feels much better. I must note that the DT-860 and the DT-880 may be very different beasts, I really don't know. Maybe someone can comment...

Build quality of new DT990/DT880 is pretty much as good as it gets. Built like tanks. The headband is steel, so no risk to break it at all. It's very very comfortable, large enough to fit the ears completely inside and the headband is not bothering me at all.

Apr 24, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Thanks for all the input everyone. I should update my profile/sig because I just had to sell the 650.
frown.gif

I really liked it but it did get a little boring after awhile. I know I need to get an amp, but there really is no budget for one right now. I have an integrated amp that has a descent headphone out, but it's in the living room...not where I listen to music.

Maybe there is a phone out there that is a upper end phone, that doesn't require an amp, and is cheap... under $200.

I believe the Audio Technicas don't need amps, but I don't remember exactly how much they are. I haven't heard the 650, but I've owned the 580. The 580 emphasizes the lower range while the 880 is pretty neutral (nothing's overwhelming). The highs are kinda gone due to the lower range emphasize on the 580, but it's not the case for the 880. I've tried both with and without amp.. I can live without an amp, but it's maybe also because of my music preferences, which are pretty mainstream ones and not classical at all.

May 7, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #24 of 31
I remember reading on this message board that he only difference between the hd580 and the hd600 is that the 600s drivers are very closely matched while Sennheiser put the 580s together without matching the drivers.

If you go to the Sennheiser website and look for a replacement driver for the hd600 you get this .

May 7, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so what is everyone's final recommendation (k601 vs dt 880) is the build quality of the k601 any good?

The AKG K601s are built very, very well (I'd say tank like but I'm tired of using cliches). I've had mine for over two years and they look and play like new.

As to the sonic signature, the K601s are wonderful. Solid - bit not overblown bass (just bass that's there when the music calls for it) - mids are sweet, not forward and do real justice to the music, especially vocals, and highs that may be a tad (and only a tad) rolled off, but allow cymbals (let's say) to sound like big brass circles of metal being struck by a wooden stick. The only thing I would say they lack it the ability to allow said cymbal strike to waft off into the recording acoustic. Oh, and they soundstage like a champ along with superb comfort - a must in long trem headphone listening.

Now, all the above said, I'm running mine out of either an Origianl Electronics Master headphone amp or a Headroom Micro Amp/DAC which may cloud my judgement (in some eyes) or not - I'll leave that up to each reader. I think the K601s are a wonderful headphone.

May 7, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by 465 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the Audio Technicas don't need amps, but I don't remember exactly how much they are. I haven't heard the 650, but I've owned the 580. The 580 emphasizes the lower range while the 880 is pretty neutral (nothing's overwhelming). The highs are kinda gone due to the lower range emphasize on the 580, but it's not the case for the 880. I've tried both with and without amp.. I can live without an amp, but it's maybe also because of my music preferences, which are pretty mainstream ones and not classical at all.

Here's my thoughts on the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700s, another set of cans to consider.

SoundStage! All In Your Head

Great cans that can do justice to many types of music and don't cost a lot. Fit is my only real issue with them.

May 7, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #27 of 31
But . . . but . . . Asr (Steve Ham??), over on STEREMOJO, says that the AKG K601 aren't all that good. How on earth can they be your reference?
eek.gif

Just joking. But, seriously, you liking the K601 and Asr not really liking it points out the difficulty that I, or anyone else, has when sifting through Head-Fi and reviews.

"You'll have to try them and see for yourself" gets to be really old really fast out in the real world of reality-testing and normal amounts of money.

The point of reading reviews is, after all, supposed to be a way of avoiding wastage of time and funds. What it becomes, instead, is fuel for what sociologists call "response bombardment," which, in plain English, means "too much g.d. information from too many negligible and dubious amateur sources." Which is what most internet forums and online mags are.

May 7, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But . . . but . . . Asr (Steve Ham??), over on STEREMOJO, says that the AKG K601 aren't all that good. How on earth can they be your reference?
eek.gif

Because they sound better than any other headphone I've heard thus far. But I remain open to new experiences.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just joking. But, seriously, you liking the K601 and Asr not really liking it points out the difficulty that I, or anyone else, has when sifting through Head-Fi and reviews.

"You'll have to try them and see for yourself" gets to be really old really fast out in the real world of reality-testing and normal amounts of money.

The point of reading reviews is, after all, supposed to be a way of avoiding wastage of time and funds. What it becomes, instead, is fuel for what sociologists call "response bombardment," which, in plain English, means "too much g.d. information from too many negligible and dubious amateur sources." Which is what most internet forums and online mags are.

Yep, that's the problem. Too many opinions, to little chance to try before you buy. Reviews ARE a good way to narrow down your field of choices. So what to do about such diverse opinions as that between ASR and myself regarding the K601s? That's up to you. Who do you believe? Whose opinion (because that's all reviews are, opinions based on listening) comes closest to your own - and I'm talking overall opinion based on a number of reviews? Which reviewers opinion do you trust more?

By the way, your acessment of the opinions on forums is pretty much spot on. They are places where anyone can say anything and hide (for the most part) behind whatever sign-in name they choose. Reviewers don;t have that option. We're out in the open - or should be. But if you feel that online publications are inferior to print publications, well, there's not much one can say. That's your feelings and not mine.

There are as many poor print publications (though less now than in the past) as online publications - just as there are good print and online publications. It's up to the individual to weed out the wheat from the chaff. And the "you have to ty them for yourself and see" statement, well, I'm sorry to say it's still all to true. Like it or not, THAT is what it all comes down to. Listening with your own ears and making a decision. Sure it's harder today than it was 10 or 20 years ago, but that just means that you the reader have to put more effort into making your choices. But it still all comes down to your ears and what makes music real to you. Like it or not.

May 7, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #29 of 31
Everyones ears, let alone preferences are different.

The list of things anyone actually agreed about to present in a definitive review of a headphone would be so small and blindingly obvious as to be useless.

There is no substitute for personal experience, or at the very least continuing to read and develop relationships based on trust which might yield opinions with some meaning to you personally.

If the process of doing or appreciating anything worthwhile was instant, it frankly... wouldn't be that worthwhile, and no more than thumbing through a consumer report and buying the item at the top of the page.

May 7, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #30 of 31
An update on my headphone quest...

I went with the K601. I had an order pending when I posted previously, and decided to go ahead with it. I'll post nothing in the way of my assessment of its virtues at this early stage, other than to say that it seems to be filling the exact gap in my headphone inventory that I was hoping it would.

A big "thank you" to MaZa, who, behind the scenes, took the time to help me with the decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back