AKG K601 - good deal at THIS price?
Jun 28, 2006 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

JMCIII

1000+ Head-Fier
It would seem that the consensus here is that the K701 are the better set of cans (not a big surprise as they are AKG's top of the line) and are worth spending the extra on over the MSRP of the K601's. (As an aside, I'd have gotten more info out of my search on this forum if the comparisons had been K601 vs Sennheiser HD600's and not the HD650's. Let compare apples to apples not apples to oranges.)

However, what if one could pick up a brand new pair for $191 shipped? Now what kind of opinions do you have? Are they worth it, or should one have to spend an extra $100+ on the K701's? And, can anyone compare the K601's to the HD600's? I'd love to know what you guys and gals think.

Thanks in advance,

Jun 28, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII
However, what if one could pick up a brand new pair for $191 shipped? Now what kind of opinions do you have? Are they worth it, or should one have to spend an extra $100+ on the K701's? And, can anyone compare the K601's to the HD600's? I'd love to know what you guys and gals think.

Thanks in advance,

They're new, as I bolded it there.

...Woah snap, I just re-read that. A K701 for $291? *shakes head in disbelief* Black market, ne?
tongue.gif

Jun 28, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
They're new, as I bolded it there.

...Woah snap, I just re-read that. A K701 for $291? *shakes head in disbelief* Black market, ne?
tongue.gif

Nay, that's why I said $100+. The cheapest I've found them for was about $295. Here's the link - http://store.earphonesolutions.com/akgk7newrehe.html

But let's keep this on-topic please as I'd really love some good head to head comparisons with headphones in the K601's price range.

Jun 28, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 15
I bought my K601's when they were still new to the market from TTVJ for $210 shipped FedEx Ground (though this was a price match). So if you can get them for less, go for it. They are a great can, though they really need break-in. My advice is to play music through them for a good 72 hours before even listening to them. I put them on immediately and thought they were bright and harsh. They took more than 100 hours to smoothen out. Also the bass seems to get stronger only after many many hours of breaking...though it slowly increases, so it is better after 24, then even better after 48, and so on.

I'd go for them, they are great. The only thing I dislike about them, is somethings they give my head pain from the clamping force and headband. Strangely this isn't always a problem, just sometimes. I have been trying to figure out a way to deal with it. I don't want to break the metal pipes bending it out. Luckly with the soft velour pads, there is some dampening to soak up the pressure.

Listen to the music.

Jun 28, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
I bought my K601's when they were still new to the market from TTVJ for $210 shipped FedEx Ground (though this was a price match). So if you can get them for less, go for it. They are a great can, though they really need break-in. My advice is to play music through them for a good 72 hours before even listening to them. I put them on immediately and thought they were bright and harsh. They took more than 100 hours to smoothen out. Also the bass seems to get stronger only after many many hours of breaking...though it slowly increases, so it is better after 24, then even better after 48, and so on.

I'd go for them, they are great. The only thing I dislike about them, is somethings they give my head pain from the clamping force and headband. Strangely this isn't always a problem, just sometimes. I have been trying to figure out a way to deal with it. I don't want to break the metal pipes bending it out. Luckly with the soft velour pads, there is some dampening to soak up the pressure.

Listen to the music.

Thanks VR6ofpain. I appreciate the feedback. And I'll follow your instructions on burn-in and give them a couple of days straight before I take my first listen - hard as that'll be for an impatient guy like me.
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Thanks VR6ofpain. I appreciate the feedback. And I'll follow your instructions on burn-in and give them a couple of days straight before I take my first listen - hard as that'll be for an impatient guy like me.
biggrin.gif

I just noticed you have jazz and blues at the top of your list (my two favorite types of music), these definately are the best can's I have heard for jazz. I think they actually do jazz much better than my buddies RS-1's. Depending on the blues they can either work, or be less than satisfactory. Strangely enough, when I first got these, I thought they simply could not do stuff like SRV (stronger blues/rock) right at all. Over time I have come to no longer believe that. In fact I sometimes prefer using them for live recordings of blues/rock because of the extra ambience and size of sound they bring. They will never rock out to the same degree that my HF-1 w/Flats do, but they have different characteristics. For jazz though, I always grab the K601's. Studio, live, Coltrane, Thelonius Monk, hot, cold, tired, awake, always the K601's for jazz. Though for portable related reasons when I am traveling, I take the HF-1.

Jun 28, 2006 at 11:30 AM Post #8 of 15
Keep in mind that, as an owner of Magnapan MG 1.6 Q/R speakers, deep, thumping bass is NOT my highest priority. As long as the bass is tight and tuneful - and can be heard - I'll be a happy camper.

What's your opinion of the K601's on classical music?

Jun 28, 2006 at 12:08 PM Post #9 of 15
as is often the case, the middle sibling gets ignored most of the time . . .
nice to see some info on the long neglected K601 (it's older brother (k701) and little sister (K501) get all the attention).

it is nice to see some info, would also love to see an in-depth comparison to it's siblings someday

Jun 28, 2006 at 1:57 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
as is often the case, the middle sibling gets ignored most of the time . . .
nice to see some info on the long neglected K601 (it's older brother (k701) and little sister (K501) get all the attention).

it is nice to see some info, would also love to see an in-depth comparison to it's siblings someday

I wouldn't mind seeing that too. Come on folks - lets see those reviews.

Jun 28, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #11 of 15
For the "file this under for your consideration" file, I contacted Earphone Solutions regarding thier price match gaurantee on the price I found for the K601's - which, by the way, they are still advertising on their website with a "e-mail for special price" link (which, as it turns out is $238) - and was told they are no longer carrying them anymore. That they are dealing exclusively with the K701.
basshead.gif

Yeah Right!
evil_smiley.gif

Gotta say, based on my experience, stay away from Earphone Solutions. Trust is very hard to build, but very easy to lose, and they've lost mine completely.

Jun 28, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #12 of 15
although, I cannot help but wonder if they are legit here . . .
I mean judging by the lack of activity related to this headphone here on Head-Fi of all places, why would a vendor tie up cash for stock that apparently does not move very well?

Jun 29, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
although, I cannot help but wonder if they are legit here . . .
I mean judging by the lack of activity related to this headphone here on Head-Fi of all places, why would a vendor tie up cash for stock that apparently does not move very well?

What makes me wonder is that Sennheiser's, the 580's, 600's & 650's have all been discussed to death. AKG's, on the other hand, are reduced to the wonderful, though hardly top quality, K81DJ's or K701's.

Why no love for the K601's? Are they really that bad, or what? Guess I'll find out when I get my pair.

Jun 29, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

What makes me wonder is that Sennheiser's, the 580's, 600's & 650's have all been discussed to death. AKG's, on the other hand, are reduced to the wonderful, though hardly top quality, K81DJ's or K701's.

Why no love for the K601's? Are they really that bad, or what? Guess I'll find out when I get my pair.

Nha, they are great cans. I think the problem is there wasn't a huge interest, because people thought they should go for the 'best' at only $100 more. Though I see tons of K701's for sale, so maybe people just don't like the the AKG sound signature. I can understand that, I don't care for the older Senn house sound (580/600). I want to hear the 650, because people say it is a little bassier and 'warmer' maybe. Could be the ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back