AKG-K601 + Fiio X1 // some comparisons // help me pls
Nov 9, 2016 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Mustainized

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all !

I am planning to buy Fiio X1 (almost sure) nowadays and I am MOSTLY listening to metal music. Is AKG-K601 a good headphone for metal music (mostly thrash-progressive-heavy-death metal) ? I saw this headphone on ''headphones for metal - ultimate solution'' thread, it's listed as ''excellent'' for the most of the metal genres. But after then, I started my research and some people said that AKG-K601 is not that good or my best choice for metal. Otherwise I will buy Shure SRH840, ATH-M50x or Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohm) at all. So you can easily understand my budget from here. But AKG-K601 is an older model and I've found one on my country and it's cheaper. What do you think?

To sum up: AKG-K601 or Shure SRH 840 or ATH-M50x or Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohm) for my taste?

And one last thing; AKG-K601 has 120 ohm impedance. Does Fiio X1 drive this on louder levels without an audible quality loss?

I'm REALLY confused. I'd appreciate if some experiences would enlighten me at all.

Thank you from now.

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 19
The 120-Ohm AKG K601 is somewhat power demanding.
Might(?) need to daisy chain a headphone amplifier off the FiiO X1.

Any chance you have access to the Soundmagic HP200 headphones?

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #3 of 19
  The 120-Ohm AKG K601 is somewhat power demanding.
Might(?) need to daisy chain a headphone amplifier off the FiiO X1.

Any chance you have access to the Soundmagic HP200 headphones?

No shipping to my country (Turkey) You recommended me those headphones one more time before, now I'm really excited but it's impossible...

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 19
  No shipping to my country (Turkey) You recommended me those headphones one more time before, now I'm really excited but it's impossible...

As your planning on getting the X1.
So your looking for something to use when your on the move?

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #5 of 19

As your planning on getting the X1.
So your looking for something to use when your on the move?

Actually, yes. Because I'm planning to buy IEMs too. But for home use, I will use one of those headphones with my Fiio X1 (because my computer's sound card is quite old and no budget for a sound card) Maybe I can use my headphone with computer but not sure about quality. I rarely use one of those headphones on the move like going school.

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #6 of 19
  Hello all !

I am planning to buy Fiio X1 (almost sure) nowadays and I am MOSTLY listening to metal music. Is AKG-K601 a good headphone for metal music (mostly thrash-progressive-heavy-death metal) ? I saw this headphone on ''headphones for metal - ultimate solution'' thread, it's listed as ''excellent'' for the most of the metal genres. But after then, I started my research and some people said that AKG-K601 is not that good or my best choice for metal. Otherwise I will buy Shure SRH840, ATH-M50x or Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohm) at all. So you can easily understand my budget from here. But AKG-K601 is an older model and I've found one on my country and it's cheaper. What do you think?

To sum up: AKG-K601 or Shure SRH 840 or ATH-M50x or Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohm) for my taste?

And one last thing; AKG-K601 has 120 ohm impedance. Does Fiio X1 drive this on louder levels without an audible quality loss?

I'm REALLY confused. I'd appreciate if some experiences would enlighten me at all.

Thank you from now.

Hi Mustainized, This is my help and some insight re the K601.... this headphone needs a nuclear reactor to power it. Have owned them for about 8 years. Only listen to them via my home set-up with  a dedicated amp. Whilst they are really good i don't think they pair up well with metal more classical music. My view is that they will not shine with the FIIO the input plug on the AKG says  it all and was manued for home use. 

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #7 of 19
Stop right there, the akg k601 beats all of those headphones you listed for metal plus they are open back which gives a much more airy and natural presentation that separates instruments more clearly, pretty much a requirement for clean and clear sounding metal IMO. They definitely need some power, so an amp or powerful music player is recommended. I own the k601 and I listen to metal so I can confidently backup my own statement. Just give them a 3dB EQ boost at 3.8-4khz as I mentioned in the previous thread and they are perfect for metal

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #8 of 19

Actually, yes. Because I'm planning to buy IEMs too. But for home use, I will use one of those headphones with my FiiO X1 (because my computer's sound card is quite old and no budget for a sound card) Maybe I can use my headphone with computer but not sure about quality. I rarely use one of those headphones on the move like going school.

You might be better off buying the Shure SRH840 and maybe getting the SRH940 ear pads for them.
AKG K-601 might just be a waste of money for you, unless your willing to spend for a decent headphone amplifier.

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 19
Stop right there, the akg k601 beats all of those headphones you listed for metal plus they are open back which gives a much more airy and natural presentation that separates instruments more clearly, pretty much a requirement for clean and clear sounding metal IMO. They definitely need some power, so an amp or powerful music player is recommended. I own the k601 and I listen to metal so I can confidently backup my own statement. Just give them a 3dB EQ boost at 3.8-4khz as I mentioned in the previous thread and they are perfect for metal

Hi akg fanboy, I've just written you through the other thread lol
So Fiio X1 is just lacking power, well...
What about X3? I'm listing only DAPs I know because I don't want to carry an amp connected to my smartphone, it seems so troublesome on the move...

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 19

Hi akg fanboy, I've just written you through the other thread lol
So Fiio X1 is just lacking power, well...
What about X3? I'm listing only DAPs I know because I don't want to carry an amp connected to my smartphone, it seems so troublesome on the move...

The X3 has more opph than the X1 but where you planning to use the AKG as a portable headphone? If so, don't go down that avenue. The K601's are monsters and have some build issues regarding the slider mechanism which over time break! Why not invest in a really good set of IEM's 

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #11 of 19
  The X3 has more opph than the X1 but where you planning to use the AKG as a portable headphone? If so, don't go down that avenue. The K601's are monsters and have some build issues regarding the slider mechanism which over time break! Why not invest in a really good set of IEM's 

Well, I'm gonna buy IEMs too. (thinking Hifiman RE-400 -max budget for IEMs- or Sennheiser CX 3.00 now) But as I said before, I will use that Fiio X1 at home too because my computer's sound card is quite old so I'm not too sure about the quality between Fiio X1 and it. Maybe I will use my computer too, I don't know.

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #12 of 19
Well, I'm gonna buy IEMs too. (thinking Hifiman RE-400 -max budget for IEMs- or Sennheiser CX 3.00 now) But as I said before, I will use that Fiio X1 at home too because my computer's sound card is quite old so I'm not too sure about the quality between Fiio X1 and it. Maybe I will use my computer too, I don't know.

I would recommend the re400 as an all rounder but it is definitely a very smooth sounding iem with some cut down upper frequencies, it won't make electric guitars sound very energetic comparatively but I still think they are good if that doesn't bother you

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #13 of 19
I would recommend the re400 as an all rounder but it is definitely a very smooth sounding iem with some cut down upper frequencies, it won't make electric guitars sound very energetic comparatively but I still think they are good if that doesn't bother youI'

I am also a lead guitarist so this is an important point. Reviews said that those IEMs have some serious clarity which is suitable for metal genre. But didn't tried them out.
Do you have any other recommendation for same price? Or should I dig it? And I think you didn't tried CX 3.00, you didn't comment.

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #14 of 19
I am also a lead guitarist so this is an important point. Reviews said that those IEMs have some serious clarity which is suitable for metal genre. But didn't tried them out.

Do you have any other recommendation for same price? Or should I dig it? And I think you didn't tried CX 3.00, you didn't comment.

I think the havi b3 pro 1s had a natural sounding presentation with no cut back frequencies, and it shares a similar price tag. You might want to check that out. I have no experience with the cx 3.0 but I did try the more expensive momentum in ears which I did not like at all and sounded very unnatural

Nov 9, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #15 of 19
I would recommend the re400 as an all rounder but it is definitely a very smooth sounding iem with some cut down upper frequencies, it won't make electric guitars sound very energetic comparatively but I still think they are good if that doesn't bother you

Yep the re400's are a good all rounder. From personal experience the RHA 750's are a great iem esp for metal and built like a tank and just to add.... check out the Trinity Audio range. These guys know how to make headphones re build and price points. Some of the condributors here on Head-Fi have helped in their design and SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back