AKG K550s plus NuForce Icon HDP...what do you guys think ?
Dec 28, 2012 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

o0Slickman0o

New Head-Fier
I recently bought the NuForce Icon HDP (DAC/Amp) but I have not yet chosen what headphones to buy. After looking around quite a bit, I have noticed that the AKG K550s are generally held in high regard (especially in the 300-400 dollar range). I can not, however, pull the trigger on them quite yet. What are your thoughts on these headphones, any other recommendations? 

(I am only looking at closed headphones, preferably in the 300 dollar range. I can however go up to 500 if it is worth it)
Thank you. 

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 2
Heya,

The K550 is a good reference headphone. It's very efficient. I would not get the Nuforce Icon HDP though as it's very much overkill for this headphone. A simple Fiio E10 would be all you would need for it, with overhead to spare.

But seeing as you already have the Icon HD, and you're looking for a closed headphone, I guess it's a moot point.

Are you set on getting a closed back pair of headphones?

Honestly at your budget range with this dac/amp, I would say the better purchase for you would be a Mr Speaker Mad Dog (T50RP) ortho magnetic headphone, and maybe some 007 stax pads (ebay), which would run you about $400 total.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back