akg k550s...burn in time for bass?
Nov 17, 2013 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

HCSUNSHINE90

New Head-Fier
after 5 or 6 hours of burn in time the akg 550's have a lil more bass than they did from the get go, but not as much as i'd like. wondering what the total burn in time for these headphones is? 50 hours? 100 hours? any input appreciated. thanks, john (i've heard everything from, if you don't like the initial sound of the headphones then you won't like them afterr they've burned in to all reference headphones need time to burn in. wondering what the real deal on these headphones is?)  

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 14
Unfortunately, the K550s are not bassy headphones, so if you aren't satisfied with the level of bass you're getting out of the box, you probably won't be satisfied with the small improvement you'll get through burn-in. 

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 14
I owned a pair for a while when they first came out around 50 hours they sounded the best, but then after 60 70 hours they changed again, and didn't like them anymore and sent them back

Nov 19, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 14
>burn in
Looking at graphs of "burn in", I see an almost negligible difference. That said, if you feel it improves the listening experience that's fine. Oh and also why would a manufacturer sell a headphone if it wasn't already in its' optimal state?

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #6 of 14
  after 5 or 6 hours of burn in time the AKG 550's have a lil more bass than they did from the get go, but not as much as I'd like. wondering what the total burn in time for these headphones is? 50 hours? 100 hours? any input appreciated. thanks, John (I've heard everything from, if you don't like the initial sound of the headphones then you won't like them after they've burned in to all reference headphones need time to burn in. wondering what the real deal on these headphones is?)  

Hopefully your driving the K550s with a headphone amplifier with a very low output impedance, to bring out the best possible audio quality?

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #7 of 14
Hi,

I've read it takes up to 100 hours to burn them in, and that's what I gave them. Unfortunately, the bass never arrived. I say unfortunately as the detail, separation and soundstage was outstanding in these headphones.

I returned mine and after auditioning many headphones, I opted for the Soundmagic HP100. Very similar to the AK550's but with a decent bass presence. Highly recommended.

Nov 19, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #8 of 14
Don't rely on burn in. I do believe it exist but not as dramatically as some people say. I believe after an hour you are pretty much going to hear what the phone will sound like. Things like ear pads loosening up are probably a majour factor in differences. The K550 have strong bass but it's not punchy or over blown.

Nov 20, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #10 of 14
I've read it takes up to 100 hours to burn them in, and that's what I gave them. Unfortunately, the bass never arrived. I say unfortunately as the detail, separation and soundstage was outstanding in these headphones.

Assuming dynamic phones, bass won't 'arrive' with burn-in unless there was something wrong with the phones to begin with, in which case you might contact the place of purchase for replacement.

A more productive method would be to try the phones on your head in various positions and to make sure you're getting a seal on the pads, then spending some time mentally adjusting to their new sound in general, and finally pulling out a good EQ and adjusting the rest to fit your needs as you're unlikely to find a signature 100% tailored for you out the box.

And with the K 550, it's worth noting that people have reported inconsistencies in sound signature from one unit to the next.

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #11 of 14
i got mine used and i didnt notice a change in the bass.  the bass was perfect for me from the start
the sound did get better, fuller sound and smoother highs but not a huge difference from when i got em.  theyre still thin and bright at times
its more likely the sound changed from proper positioning than anything else

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #13 of 14
Assuming dynamic phones, bass won't 'arrive' with burn-in unless there was something wrong with the phones to begin with, in which case you might contact the place of purchase for replacement.

A more productive method would be to try the phones on your head in various positions and to make sure you're getting a seal on the pads, then spending some time mentally adjusting to their new sound in general, and finally pulling out a good EQ and adjusting the rest to fit your needs as you're unlikely to find a signature 100% tailored for you out the box.

And with the K 550, it's worth noting that people have reported inconsistencies in sound signature from one unit to the next.

I tried all the above but to no avail. The bass levels were and remained abnormally low, and perhaps as you suggest there is an inconsistency amongst the production of these headphones - there seems to be more conflicting opinions from users and reviewers with these than other headphones. Anyway, for me it's moot as I returned them and purchased the Soundmagic HP100's, which are an extremely pleasant listen (especially through a MF M1 HPA!).

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #14 of 14
If you not happy with the bass but like the general sound of the K550 and their build quality and design I suggest getting the K545. They are a bit smaller and more portable minded but most importantly they have more bass while keeping the general sound of the K550.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back