AKG K550 vs Sennheiser HD598 vs AKG q701
May 29, 2013 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Hifi Man

100+ Head-Fier
Hello. I'm busy trying to decide which headphone is the best option for me. I prefer to carry around full size headphones around my house, but they never leave the house. Therefor isolation is not objective. I listen to a variety of genres, but at the far right end of the spectrum, I listen to poorly recorded black metal, really extreme old school death metal, and on the far left of the spectrum I listen to slow laid back rock like shoegaze type stuff and post rock. I tend to listen to headphones all the time, non stop, all day (no exaggeration). I do not use a DAC, I only use a low impedance portable Go Dap GD-03 amplifier and my ipod. I would just appreciate some pointers on which one of these headphones may be the best option for me. I'm looking for something clear, not fatiguing, and not dark. 

May 29, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 6
It looks like the AKG K550 is winning the poll. I'm packaging up my AKG K240 for return so I can afford these new headphones. I'd like a few more votes before I decide on a headphone please. Thank you for voting
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 6
It looks like sennheiser HD598 and AKG K550 are head and head. I'll wait tomorrow to make my decision so I can see the full extent of the results.

It's really important that the headphones are good for metal. would the AKG K550 or sennheiser hd598 be good for metal?

Here's some samples of what I'm listening to on both extreme ends of the spectrum

Morpheus Descends - Corpse under glass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aao3B0fZRQc

Here's a sample of something really laid back that I listen to.

The Daysleepers - twilight bloom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMt66fwm3fc

Then I listen to everything in between. You can check my last fm if you feel so inclined :)

May 29, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 6
I just ordered the sennheiser hd558. I think I'll be please with it and I didn't lose any money because of the return of the akg k240.

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #5 of 6
I have had all three of these. All are great headphones. I ended up with the K550.

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #6 of 6
If you do not need isolation, I'd try the Beyer Dt 990 and 880 pros respectivly both, the Dt 880 sounds simmilar to the K550 with a little more bess ZERO issues, and a little more sound stage and treble. The Beyer Dt 990 is like the 880 but with more bass and sound stage 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back