AKG K550 - Shortening the cable?
Mar 28, 2012 at 6:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

0rangutan

500+ Head-Fier
Has anyone re-cabled or shortened the cable on their K550's?
I actually like the supplied cable, but at 9ft it is just way too long for my intended use.
It strikes me that simply cutting and shortening the cable at the plug end would work well for me without requiring the much riskier approach of modifying the cans themselves.  I would be really grateful for any experienced thoughts on this before I start.

Has anyone done this before?
Is it possible to remove and re-use the rather nice AKG plug without damaging it?  It looks like the brown and gold parts might unscrew but will require more than finger strength to do so. 
If not, are the left, right and common wires marked in sensible easy to identify colours?

Any help much appreciated.

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #2 of 5
What you can do to identify which color is left/right/ground is to cut the cable off a couple inches above the plug, remove the insulation and use a multimeter to see which color is connected to which part of the plug itself (most(all?) multimeters have a function where it will beep when the two test leads are touching the same wires).

The tip pf the 3.5 mm plug is always left, middle is always right, and the last one is always ground,

At least that's how I would do it. 

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 5
Hey did you do it?

I am considering it also...

EDIT:
I just did it, pretty easy if you have any technical skills.

There's a red, yellow and white cable, just solder back on.

There's two pins holding the speaker in place, just be careful that you don't touch those...

Stupid AKG, they should've released a short cable version.

May 1, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 5
Fortunately, we can improvise. 
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back