AKG K550 or Sennheiser Amperior or Beyer DT1350 with iPhone 5
Oct 20, 2012 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

gavinfabl

1000+ Head-Fier
So here is the dilemma. I have the iPhone 5 and cannot use a headphone amp. To be honest when out and about I don't want the added bulk of an amp. Plus the iPhone 5 complicates matters with the new lightning connector.

My current portable cans are the free earpods that came with the iPhone 5 and a pair of Bose AE2i. My home cans are Beyer DT880 premium 600 ohm, iPod classic + dock, upgraded Littledot mkiv tube amp. I chose the Bose as they are almighty comfortable and have the iPod controls. Also don't sound too bad, but obviously overpriced. The Beyer/Littledot is for my home comfort.

I have noticed that with the iPhone 5 the Bose don't sound as good as the iPhone 4S. I put this down to a weaker amp in the iPhone 5. Saying that, connecting the iPhone 5 via the headphone cable into my car audio, the actual sound quality appears better than the 4S.

Anyway back on track, I need a pair of on ears or over ears cans. I believe I have found the best options. The cans will run straight out of the iPhone 5. I might consider ear canals but don't have a clue on options.

I listen to classical, opera , jazz and blues, rock, pop and some dance. Probably my jazz and blues are top. But then I like Katherine Jenkins voice a lot.

Based on the weaker amp in the iPhone 5 I have selected the above cans. What is the best one? Or have I missed something. Or is there an ear canal ? Max spend is £260. Would love to spend less but ....

Help me wise Head-Fiers :)

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #2 of 4
I only have Amperior directly connected my iPhone 4s and it sounds AMAZING!!!! But if you wear glasses I do NOT recommend this pair because it is really uncomfortable after long period wearing with glasses. I do not know K550 but 1350 has very high impedance that I do not think iPhone can push it well. If you do not wear glasses, I DO suggest Amperior, I used it on my iPhone 4s and it is easy to push, bassy and good for all types of music (I tried pop, rock, r&b, new age, all good). I tried Bose one in their shop before and I can confidently say that Amperior is much much better than it. You can go to Apple store to try it and I am sure you won't regret.

Oct 20, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
I only have Amperior directly connected my iPhone 4s and it sounds AMAZING!!!! But if you wear glasses I do NOT recommend this pair because it is really uncomfortable after long period wearing with glasses. I do not know K550 but 1350 has very high impedance that I do not think iPhone can push it well. If you do not wear glasses, I DO suggest Amperior, I used it on my iPhone 4s and it is easy to push, bassy and good for all types of music (I tried pop, rock, r&b, new age, all good). I tried Bose one in their shop before and I can confidently say that Amperior is much much better than it. You can go to Apple store to try it and I am sure you won't regret.

With glasses, the K550 works well because of the nature of the foam. On ear models will be fine when wearing glasses, but the DT1350 did get a bit uncomfortable over time due to clamping force. The DT1350 is quite sensitive so portable devices will have no problem driving them although they are rated at 80 ohms?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back