AKG K550 Issue.
May 11, 2013 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

max6293

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I've had the K550's for around 4 months now, and I've just started to notice how weak they sound when connected to my desktop.
Compared to when they are connected to my Iphone, they are much quieter and just weaker in all respects. What could be the issue with my desktop?
Do I need a headphone amp? Upgraded sound card? At the moment I'm using the on-board sound card on a Asus Maximus iv Gene-z.

Thanks in advance.

May 12, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #2 of 8
It sounds like an amping issue. Weak sound is usually the fault of the amp, and background noise is usually the fault of the DAC. I'd suggest you get a good amp rather than a new soundcard, so you could use it with your iphone as well. Despite being marketed as a portable headphone, the K550's do respond to amping above what the typical portable device can provide. Even a budget portable amp will make a difference.

May 12, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the reply! Do you have any recommendation for a amp? Apparently you need one with a low output impedance due to the k550's low impedance(32 Ohms). Maybe an Objective2 amp? 

May 12, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #4 of 8
Agree. At 32 Ohm, the 550 seems to be very easy to drive. This is not like the Grado 60 or 80s. This one has a peculiar taste for a certain kind of amplifier. To this day I don't know what.

May 12, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #5 of 8
My iNano 3rd can't even drive these K550 at all! I nearly though it broke until I connect it to my iPhone 1! It really does scale well with a good WARM amp! I like how it sound with the iBasso D7!

Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back