AKG K550 gaming and movies
Mar 27, 2012 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Chic01taliano

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone from a newcomer!

I am willing to buy a set of headphones for gaming and movies and i'm heading for the AKG K550 (or maybe Beyerdynamic MMX 300?).
I have a built-in Creative X-FI 2 on my motherboard and will probably buy a real x-fi dedicated soundcard. Do the K550 need an amp to be enjoyed?
Thank you.

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 12
K550 are easy to drive so they don't necessarily need an amp. Should sound just fine without one. But I'd like to also mention that there are cheap dac/amp solutions like the Fiio E10 out there.

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
I am willing to buy a set of headphones for gaming and movies and i'm heading for the AKG K550 (or maybe Beyerdynamic MMX 300?).
I have a built-in Creative X-FI 2 on my motherboard and will probably buy a real X-Fi dedicated sound card. Do the K550 need an amp to be enjoyed?

So far everything I've heard about the K550 is they are fairly easy to drive.
I'm sure a Titanium HD will work fine with the K550.
I want to buy myself a K550, but not for the current $280 price.

Mar 27, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I want to buy myself a K550, but not for the current $280 price.

Man you have it easy in the US. They are close to 400$ here in EU.

Though amazon.co.uk seems to have them a lot cheaper, around 300$.

Mar 27, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 12
The K550 has a fantastic soundstage for a closed headphone, so I would imagine Skyrim-type games (huge environments) would be a blast. However, if you want a pair of headphones that can reproduce a LOT of booming bass for explosions and stuff, it may not be the best for that.

As mentioned, they are easy to drive and don't require a dedicated amp to sound good. They are fantastic headphones (in my opinion).

Mar 27, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 12
I've heard lots of positive comments about the K550 soundstage despite being closed back headphones. 

This review is pretty interesting:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/599170/akg-k550-review-essentially-a-closed-back-k702-literally

Im sure they will suit your gaming needs. 

Apr 16, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #7 of 12
I have these for gaming and I'll have to say that they are awesome if you want to hear everything.  They are very transparent and the base is seems maybe a little recessed but the sound stage and directional sound ques from it are amazing.  The sound signature is very close to my hifiman he 500's, but are not detailed or open with a smaller soundstage.  They are very easy to drive, my droid Razr gets them loud enough, and my ps vita gets them even louder.  If you are looking for good neutral headphones than these are the way to go.  If you like a lot of bass though I would recommend the ultrasone pro 900.  The sound on the ultrasones are a bit more bass orientated.  Good luck

Apr 16, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #8 of 12
Thanks all 
bigsmile_face.gif

May 26, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
I have these for gaming and I'll have to say that they are awesome if you want to hear everything.  They are very transparent and the base is seems maybe a little recessed but the sound stage and directional sound ques from it are amazing.  The sound signature is very close to my hifiman he 500's, but are not detailed or open with a smaller soundstage.  They are very easy to drive, my droid Razr gets them loud enough, and my ps vita gets them even louder.  If you are looking for good neutral headphones than these are the way to go.  If you like a lot of bass though I would recommend the ultrasone pro 900.  The sound on the ultrasones are a bit more bass orientated.  Good luck

I agree and because of the directional sound ques it seriously helps pinpoint where the sound is coming from and tbh i prefer the k550 for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back