AKG K550 after one week
Mar 2, 2012 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lp77

New Head-Fier
Have used my AKG K550 for one week now (have bought it for 130,- euro's) and have to admit that I really like it. I also have to admit that the only reference I have are the standard Ipod in ears (I'm not an audiophile). What a difference!!!! When wearing the K550's it feels like being in a room surrounded by lovely music, being one with the music. Comfort is great, no problem to keep it on your head for a few hours. Some complain about the smell of the phone. I know what those guys mean, however the smell is like my snowboard when just waxed which I like.....
As said before about the sound quality I don't have any reference. In my opinion it's ok at all kind of devices (which is not for the K701).

If any questions or comments don't hesitate, I will try to reply.

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 6
What genres do you listen to? I've wanted them for quite a while but I'm not sure if they're engaging enough for metal. Also, if you wear them outside are they easy to carry around sans carrying bag and easy to take off/put on at a moment's notice? Do they get in the way of you moving your head if the earpads are flattened?

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #3 of 6
Are they replaceable cables? I think that's the only reason why I didn't want them. Also people say that the earpads are a bit shallow?

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 6
I'm listening to all kinds of music except metal. I'm sorry. What I do know is that they do a good job at mid and high levels, so I guess metal will sound ok.

You definately won't wear them outside they are pretty big and the cable is 3m.

I don't know if the cables are replaceable, at least it's not removable. When cable got damaged, the phone needs to be disassemble for repairing I guess.

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Have used my AKG K550 for one week now (have bought it for 130,- euro's) and have to admit that I really like it. I also have to admit that the only reference I have are the standard Ipod in ears (I'm not an audiophile). What a difference!!!! When wearing the K550's it feels like being in a room surrounded by lovely music, being one with the music. Comfort is great, no problem to keep it on your head for a few hours. Some complain about the smell of the phone. I know what those guys mean, however the smell is like my snowboard when just waxed which I like.....
As said before about the sound quality I don't have any reference. In my opinion it's ok at all kind of devices (which is not for the K701).

If any questions or comments don't hesitate, I will try to reply.

Heya,

Can you describe how it handles bass? Maybe run a few tracks to see how it handles sub bass specifically (30hz to 60hz tones). Use Audacity if you want to generate tones, or just load up a dubstep or house music track.
How is the sound stage? Does it seem closed in, or is it very expansive like that of an open-air headphone? Angled drivers?
Is it an organic warm musical sound in general, or does it sound more anallytical, cold, inorganic, metallic, reference?

Very best,

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #6 of 6
Hi MalveauX,

Those questions are not that easy to anwer for a dummy, at least I can try.

Bass is very direct (doesn't lag) and warm. Sometimes when hearing the bass on other devices it takes away all the other tones and makes a mess of it all. With the K550 it seems to be in balance. As said direct and warm not overloading mid and high. When setting up a dance number it gives loads of bass, so I guess it can be concluded that the K550 expresses the music and sounds as it was meant by the musician.

Don't know how an open phone sounds but the K550 is a pleasure to listen. Less area noise is getting in and you don't feel any 'pressure' of sound on your typanum although it's closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back