AKG K518 vs. Sennheiser HD 25 II
Sep 2, 2009 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

proteuskim

100+ Head-Fier
anyone have a take on which sounds better and which is better for DJing? i read the Senns were the best and chosen by most DJs for its replaceable parts but i listened to the AKG 518 and they were very satisfying at half the price of the Senns.
anyone know or care about these phones?

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #2 of 10
Had the K518 and i've got my 12 year old HD's. I loved the 518's..

Amazon.co.uk: M. Scarlett "fakehead...'s review of AKG K 518 DJ

The only thing for me was that the K518's were a bit fatiguing on the comfort side of things, however, i gave mine to a poor ol' skullcandy owner, but i would buy another pair tomorrow without hesitation. Buy the HD's if you can... but the K's will do a good (if not bass heavy) job.

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #3 of 10
From what I've read, the HD25s blow the AKGs out of the water in every aspect. No competition at all. Do some searches and you'll find ample amounts of information on both phones, particularly on the HD25s.

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #4 of 10
The hd25 could be considered an an upgrade from the akg.
If you have the cash for the hd 25 get them, make sure you dont get the sp version and if you plan to listening to them when not djing too I recomend you get a hd600 cable for them.

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 10
I tried the HDs yesterday and the display model wouldnt stay firm on my ears. i dunno if this has happened to anyone else or maybe the display model was messed up. i tried it both ways with red on left and then with red on right (since the cups arent labelled) i think red on left fit best but still not a great clamping job. i noticed the highs were a little better on the HDs but the AKG fit well and was comfy on my head. the bass was really heavy but i kinda like it like that.

The HD 25 are a bit pricey at around 39,800円 JPY. which is around $420.00 USD. I'm not an experienced listener so I was wondering if there was anything I'm really missing that justifies the extra 300 some odd dollars for the HD 25 II. My amateur ears couldnt really hear that much of an improvement.

and the GMP 8.35 D Monitor seems worth a hear. I used to have MB Quart speakers in my car a long time ago. especially at only 150 bux!! I have a gig on Saturday tho and prolly wont have them shipped to me by that time.

Sep 3, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #8 of 10
Tried the Akg and I did like it, but I still got the Hd25´s and to me they are whorth evry extra bit of cash.

I you have the money, go for the senns.they take abuse like no other phone I owned.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 10
don't get me wrong the HD25 is better sounding in general, but I loveeeee the 518 I would buy them for sure. If these cans are for long time usage go with the HD25 because it's less colored, soundwise, and replaceable parts. The 518 is more of something to try out, but I mean it takes longer to get bored of cans with better sound quality. I still love the 518's, and I think they are a better value. Unless you get an HD25 for 130 used.

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 10
Ironically they sell both at my local futureshop/best buy. The akg k518 is $99 and the sennheiser HD 25 1 II is $299. Of course they are the adidas edition but every once in a while they go on sale for $199. I got mine for the sale price and i couldn't be happier. These have been used by dj's for 15-20 years. I think i would trust the professionals. It also helps greatly how they are built like a tank. Sure it's made of plastic but it is amazingly strong plastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back