AKG K501's: Did G-d Create These Headphones on the First or Seventh Day?????? (
Jun 2, 2005 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

BillyBenBilly

100+ Head-Fier
Wow!!!!!!!!!! I'm in the process of breaking in my new, well almost new, AKG 501's. I really can't believe they sound so heavenly with classical music. Jazz and rock, good but not great . Vocals and classical music...I'm addicted. My Grado SR-225's are fine by me for rock and jazz, but give me those AKG 501's for classical. Anybody share this experience?

Jun 2, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 15
Lol, finally the k501 getting the praise that it deserves. FOTM??
cool.gif

Jun 2, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 15
My source indicates that God rested on the seventh day, which implies and earlier date for creation.
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome to the ranks of K501 lovers. They really are something special to those of us who appreciate their strengths.

BW

Jun 2, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #6 of 15
had to be wednesday work here.

on monday, you are hungover from the weekend's party. on friday you cant think about work, cause the weekend is for partying... so the only good work gets done on wednesday.

Jun 2, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 15
I'm sorry, I just thought that as great as these AKG 501's are, maybe G-d created them when He was fresh ( Day 1) or when He was well rested (Day 7) or maybe He was just tinkering in His workshop one day or night and came up with these. Who knows? What I do know was that I was completely unprepared for the absolutely wonderful, nay, glorious sounds, I heard from my Woo 3 nd AKG 501's the other night. I have heard all sorts of wonderful audio systems in my life, High End, megabuck systems, Single Ended Triodes, AudioNote of Japan, you name it, but I don't think I ever heard classical music so wonderfully reproduced except in a live setting by an orchestra under ideal conditions. Even my wife, who is not easily moved to audio ecstacy, spontaneously picked the headphones and listened to a cd. Having said that, I didn't think they were especially remarkable with jazz, rock, or other types of music. YMMV.
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 15
G-d didn't create them, the Austrians did. Give credit where it is due.
wink.gif

Jun 2, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
G-d didn't create them, the Austrians did. Give credit where it is due.
wink.gif

Who created the austrians?
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan
Who created the austrians?

Actually, it was the last Roman Emperor, Francis II... although I am sure that the man upstairs gave him the idea.
tongue.gif

Jun 2, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyBenBilly
Wow!!!!!!!!!! I'm in the process of breaking in my new, well almost new, AKG 501's. I really can't believe they sound so heavenly with classical music. Jazz and rock, good but not great . Vocals and classical music...I'm addicted. My Grado SR-225's are fine by me for rock and jazz, but give me those AKG 501's for classical. Anybody share this experience?

I'm happy that you're happy with the K501. I was also very impressed when I had them. Their way to reproduce acoustic music is astonishing and very fascinating. I spoke about them here: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...highlight=k501

The AKG K501 have really a unique way to reproduce classical and jazz music, at the point that is difficult to go "back" with other headphones.

bye
Andrea

Jun 2, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #13 of 15
I too must throw in my praise for the K501's, as a former owner I still often miss them. To this day they are the only cans I long to buy (as an addition, not a replacement).
Well those and perhaps some Shure E5's or UE SuperFi Pro.
Oh and maybe another amp too . . .
and

and

and . . . .
icon10.gif

Jun 2, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #14 of 15
It is often mentioned that K501's bass response improves with a better amp.
For me the biggest surprise is that with better amplification, the sense of ambience improves significantly, especially in the vertical direction.
By ambience I mean you can hear the air around instruments and discern reflected sound from the walls.
This places acoustic instruments in realistic acoustic space (a hall with walls).
Multi-miked recordings mixed poorly become easy to identify because the ambience of different instruments don't belnd well.
Two-mike-direct-to-two-track recordings on the other hand invariably exhibit a nautral, credible sound space filled with instumental sounds (but tonal balance may not be that great).
My K1000 simply cannot match the ambience of K501, although K1000's soundsatge is wider and deeper (but restrained in the vertical direction).

Jun 3, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #15 of 15
I'm seriously considering buying the K501's. So I was doing a little bit of research on the forums and found this interesting comment from Jan Meier back in January of 2003:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Meier
Just to make you curious.

I had a call with my AKG-representative and he told me that somewhere in spring AKG will release two new top-of-the-line headphones; the K601 and the K701. Unfortunately he didn't have any details on these phones yet.

Cheers,

Jan

Anybody have any updates on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back