AKG K501's al la Grado
Feb 24, 2004 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Rob80b

Headphoneus Supremus
Has any one here played around with pads of different thickness for the K501’s. Without the pads in place, the efficiency goes way up (volume control goes way down), lots of bass and midrange slam (al la Grado), but of coarse one loses the wonderful soundstage, due to the obvious fact that the drivers are now almost sitting on the ear. The effect is not quite the same as turning the volume up or pushing the phones closer to the ears.
What I’m getting at, is that the K501’s are only hard to drive because of the way the drivers are sitting in relation to the ear (distance) not the actual the amount of muscle needed to get the cones moving.
So I am curious to hear from other K501 users who have experimented with different pads to optimize efficiency, bass response and sound staging. I’ve done some experimenting but interested to hear from others who have tried different mediums (foam, felt etc.), pad shapes or thicknesses.
AKG may have done all the optimizing possible to give the K501’s their characteristic attributes ,then again maybe not.

Feb 24, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 6
Just as an abstract but related comment, same way there are room acoustic issues with speakers, there appear to be quite important "driver--pad--ear" acoustic issues with headphones.

Feb 24, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 6
with a shift of the distance between the driver and your ears you will get a tonal shift. at best you can try removing some of the material in the front part of the pad so that the drivers are more angled.

the AKG K401/K501 pads seem to last forever. much more so than the Beyer pads.

if you truly want to try something crazy, try inserting a Grado bowl pad inside the K501 pad.
biggrin.gif
I'll wait... <cue Jeopardy music>

Feb 24, 2004 at 10:05 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

THe K501's also benefit from a more powerful amp as well.

The point is that without the AKG pads the phones do not need the more powerful amp. I was normally setting the amp at around 12-1, with the pads removed the volume had to turned down to about 10, the bass was a lot deeper with more punch.
Maybe not as balanced but alot more obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back