AKG K501 ... wow ... wow ... wow
May 19, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #16 of 48
I think the K501 does bass more accurately than the DT880. When I'm listening to Groove Armada Suntoucher, the DT880 has slam but the K501 does it "cleaner" and without that "18 subwoofer-in-the-trunk" sound. I don't know, I'm on the fence on both headphones. I like them equally.
icon10.gif
Oh, funny how you found the DT880 comfortable more so than the K501, it has been the opposite experience for me.

May 19, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #17 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by mix
Erik, et al

I noticed you also praised the 501s in another thread. The author of this thread also said they were good for the type of music he listens to.
So my question to both of you, what kind of music does the 501 handle well (aside from classical and acoustic that was mentioned), or to put it another way, what kind of music do you guys normally listen to?

IMO, the K501 excell at: chamber music, jazz, female vocals and are very good with symphonic. I love the way they reproduce piano, among others.

May 19, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #20 of 48
I'm thinking about either the one of the Kx01 serie with x => 5. I had quite a few cans and ended up with the Hd580 jubs (=Hd600) and DT880 both are what you would say the neutral part of head-fi, while being musical and fun the other part.
Which of the Kx01's suits me best?

May 20, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #22 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
K601 bassy???
confused.gif

It just seemed to me that the lower ranges overwhelmed the higher frequencies. Maybe's it more a question of balance. All I know is that the K501 and K601 sound *incredibly* different from each other.

May 20, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #23 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhw
No, I don't think my 601s were defective. They were very nice headphones. However, they (1) were too bassy for me, and (2) they lacked resolution and detail, at least to my ears.

Are you serious? That is the one thing I wish these K601's had, some decent bass. They have bass ya, but it is totally lean. Leaner than the HD555's, WAY leaner than Grado's, especially my HF-1's.

May 20, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #24 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Are you serious? That is the one thing I wish these K601's had, some decent bass. They have bass ya, but it is totally lean.

If you like the K501, I think it makes sense to describe most headphones as too bassy.

May 20, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #26 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
It might also have something to do with his amp and/or source. I seriously can't imagine the K601 being bass-heavy. Extended in the bass they are, but generous in quantity they aren't!

That is what I was thinking. THat is true, they do seem to extend much further down than my HF-1's, but they don't have the quantity and or punch of the HF-1's. Listening to the HF-1's with jazz it sounds as though the upright is right there within reach of your arms, whereas with the K601's, it is at least 10 feet away...and the acoustics of the room seem to be swallowing up the bass.

May 20, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #28 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by dezafinado
Anyone has both the 501 & 701?

How do they compare... different / similar?

Thanks!

My K701's should arrive today - I'll let you know.

May 20, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #29 of 48
I also perfer the 501 to the 601 because the 601 just tends to seem "darker" sounding to my ears though its more smoother as well which the 501 lacks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dezafinado
Anyone has both the 501 & 701?

How do they compare... different / similar?

Thanks!

I have both but have not done an indepth comparision with both yet.
Edit: Just took a couple of minutes to compare both.

K701 has a more richer/heavier sound, more deep bass present, smoother/less uneven with the sound, though the high's aren't as sparkling with the 501's but are still "bright"
Note: My 701's have not had many hours on it so it may be slight/major difference after burned in.

May 20, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electro Point
K701 has a more richer/heavier sound, more deep bass present, smoother/less uneven with the sound, though the high's aren't as sparkling with the 501's but are still "bright"
Note: My 701's have not had many hours on it so it may be slight/major difference after burned in.

The K501 are slightly lacking in treble sparkle to my ears. Higher piano notes have nice upper harmonics (if the recording is treble rich, while if it is slightly muted this becomes obvious and annoying through the K501), but the cymbals do not sound quite as they should.
The K501 drawbacks, in absolute terms and IMO of course:
- lack of bass extension (obviously)
- treble sparkle slightly diminished
- not enough soundstage depth and instrument placement is not quite as easy on the ear as I would like
- many instruments playing together have a certain tendency to blend into each other, with one "soloistic" instrument (e.g. saxophone) more proeminent than it should be
- the tone colors (not texture, only color) are slightly "bleached out" - but this "de-coloration" can be solved with a synergic source (i.e. warm and colorful)

Still, they are wonderful headphones, with a coherence and musicality, among many other qualities, that still amaze me after 8 years of use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back