AKG K501 vs Sennheiser HD580
Jan 6, 2005 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Brunoski909

Head-Fier
I'm looking for opinions on these two cans specifically. Yes, I know there is another thread about 2 pages back on this, but that unfairly included the 600 (out of my price range). Plus, I'd like to have the opinions summed up in the poll. I'm going to be using a computer source, the EMU 0404 sound card, as well as a Headsave Classic amp. I listen to primarily classic pop and rock, such as the beatles, beach boys, stones (some), etc, but i also listen to some classical music. Thanks.

Jan 6, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 38
Because you listen mainly to rock/pop music I'd reccomend the grados. The K501's really can't rock at all. I own the K501 and a Headsave Classic and they just don't have the in your face slam that lends to a good rock headphone. Of course modern recordings don't help. Some of my favourite recordings are actually from the early 90's or late 80's.

With classical music the K501s rock, and rock they do oh so hard. With a couple weeks burnin on my amp and 501's classical sounds phenominal. You feel like you're there, you can hear the proformers flip pages and even move in their seats! The 501's do pianos exceptionally well. My personal favourite album to listen to is The Pianist Soundtrack. It's very well recorded and feels like you're there standing infront of the piano.

Jazz is also presented extremely well even though the 501's don't have exactly the greatest abundance of bass. I'd discribe the bass as light yet tight and impactful. They do better with 'real' bass such as a chello or bass guitar then they do with the bass in electronic music. I'm thinking about getting my K501's rewired but I'm hesitant as it'd void the warranty yet it would add more bass.

Jan 6, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #5 of 38
I agree with all Smurf wrote above EXCEPT that Akg K501s don't rock. For me they rock hard because they are right in the bass and very tuneful, and everything is clean, clean, clean.

Jan 6, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by fmplautus
I agree with all Smurf wrote above EXCEPT that Akg K501s don't rock. For me they rock hard because they are right in the bass and very tuneful, and everything is clean, clean, clean.

They rock with classical music is what I meant not with rock music. Sorry if my post seemed confusing.

Jan 6, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 38
I voted for K501 but I don't really think they are better.
K501 got my vote because it is better for my music preference, which is 70% classical and 20% Jazz.
For music that is bass heavy I would say HD580 is better.
K501 has good bass quality but not quite enough quantity.
But its open and clear sound is very delightful to hear.
HD580 is a good all-rounder, and K501 is better for classical/jazz/vocal/light music.

Jan 6, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #8 of 38
Wow ... my vote made it an even 50:50.
cool.gif

Jan 6, 2005 at 8:35 AM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Wow ... my vote made it an even 50:50.
cool.gif

Speaking of 50/50, why isn't there an "equally good" choice?

Jan 6, 2005 at 10:32 AM Post #11 of 38
They're both exellent, but if I could only have one I'd choose the HD580 because of it's better all-around nature. The K501's are too specialized to be my main cans, but they're very good at what they do.

Jan 6, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #13 of 38
I had HD580 for a while and then switched them for AKG 501. The reason was I did not like "darker" sound of HD580. But this is because I like clear sound with not so much bass (I prefer clear tones and vocals/instruments rather).

I however do not mean HD580 sound bad. They seem as much detailed as AKG 501 (or maybe even more). Just the sound perception was different.

And when writing about those two, I would also mention that HD580 were much more comfortable to me (I could easily felt asleep with them on), contrary AKG 501 felt like putting on a helmet.

What concerns the usage, I normally used them (both HD580 and AKG501) with Technics CD discman player (10 years old thingy from time discmen were built with more care
smily_headphones1.gif
) and Corda HA1 (built by myself). I tested both with computer, but could not help and sticked to Sony MDR-CD 470 for this. The problem for me was that both (forementioned) phones were open and the computer humming/noise was pretty distracting. Also Sony have drives positioned slightly convex and seemed far better for 3D sound positioning in games.

Jan 6, 2005 at 1:16 PM Post #14 of 38
I'm quite sure the K501 is a more musical 'phone.

Don't really care for the bass thing -- it would be just right for my tastes, and I'd be very willing to be forgiving in this regard when 'the rest' is more convincing.

I really wouldn't buy the 580, now that there's that 595 (which I'd prefer to the AKG as well).

Jan 6, 2005 at 1:21 PM Post #15 of 38
Amazing how more at 2x voters since last post they're still tied 50:50 ...

With "equally good" option I'd say the split will be like 25:50:25.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back