AKG k501 vs Senn HD580
May 5, 2004 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

OogeleyBoogeley

100+ Head-Fier
I know I have asked this question before, but since the search is down,I cannot go back to look. What is the genreal consesus about the AKG K501? I know that it can be bass shy, but it has immense detail. I love the combination of my MG Head OTL-h with the HD580's, but how would the K501's be an improvement? I've always been curious. Thanks in advance.

-Dan

May 5, 2004 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 17
If there is a consensus, I would suspect it would give the nod to the 580s. That being said, I have owned both of them at the same time and think they are both good, but only the 501 remains.

Things to consider -- the 580s have a definite midbass hump, which a lot of people like, but I did not; while I found both comfortable, the 501s were significantly more comfortable; the 501s had a cleaner midrange -- the 580s sounded a bit muffled in comparison; the bass extension on the 580s is better than the 501s, which lacks the lowest of the low end.

Again, I think these are both good phones, which one is better is a matter of personal taste, but I don't think that one is clealy superior to the other.

May 5, 2004 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 17
Currently i own k501 for a month and sr225 for 1wk. To tell you the truth, I like both phones. They're like odd couple, but so far it works.
After 1 month of hard listening, k501 are excellent cans for classical and jazz.

Their strength are:
sweet midrange, wide soundstage, silky smooth delievery, amazing instructmental separation, non-fatigue sound, super comfortable, beautiful fit and finish, and delicate detail.

Their weakness are:
limited low bass extension, grainy high during heavier bass demand, unforgiving to recording, sensitive to amp/source, vague in center-imaging, lacks vertical depth, and not adaptive to certain music.

If match right with recording, amp and source, k501 will shine and deliever.
It took me while to figure this one out, but now I'm happy with them.
You should check if k501 will go fine with your set-up. I can't answer since I don't have your amps nor tried one.

May 5, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 17
I agree with ACS 236's post above. I owned the Sennheiser HD-600 for a couple of years. Before purchasing I also considered the 580 which has the same family "signature", but found the 600 to be enough better to pay the extra bucks. That said, I was always bothered by the lower mid bass emphasis of the Sennheisers. I found listening to jazz or well recorded acoustic music dull on the Senn's. Classical music was better, but there was also an in-the-ear boxiness to the sound -- depth and bass were there but the mid range did not "pop up" the way it does at a live concert (think of oboes, clarinets, basoons and horns, and the way they sparkle and achieve a three dimensionality on a good stage). That and the fact that acoustic bass in jazz or the electric bass in blues and rock just didn't "move" and have any tunefulness bugged me.

Finally after reading some good reviews about the overall "musicality" and lack of listening fatigue with the AKG 501, I bought a used pair on Ebay.

All I can say is WOW! The AKG 501 is more bang for the buck than I had imagined. Far from being "bass light," I found that with the right amplification source the bass on the 501s really dynamic and tuneful. Further up, the mids are beautiful and blend seamlessly into the upper mids the way some of the great classic British monitor speakers like the LS3/5a do. The heaviness and unbalanced weight of the Sennheisers is gone and music has sparkle again. The soundstage is big and wide and instruments and voices are focused better than any other headphones I've heard short of the Akg k 1000. You do lose the deep bass and depth of the Sennheiser 600s, which was their strong suite, but for my ears you gain in mid and upper bass and a sense of balance and rhythm.

My one caution is the AKG 501 can sound bland if sourced from an amp that doesn't have enough power (same goes for the Sennheisesrs). Also, the Sennheisers are certainly well made and well designed. That said, the AKG 501s are the most underrated headphones out there in my opinion.

May 5, 2004 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 17
AKG-501 was trendy among the forum members like three years ago. I think the lack of bass extension diminished its popularity over time. I like the soundstage and airiness of the AKG-501.

May 5, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #6 of 17
We're a small group... Us K501s users are a minority. It's probably is the most underrated headphone out there, and especially for the price!

When I first got my K501s, I wasn't really impressed with the grainy treble it presented itself. Then again, I was plugged directly into my Sanyo portable CD. It sounded decent on the PCDP, but it really shined when I plugged it into my LINN Wakonda.

I can't really comment on Senn's 580 because I only heard them briefly. I can however tell you about my experience with my K501s. The K501s delievers a sweet and slightly warm midrange, which adds to your listening pleasure. The more I've been using it, the more I enjoy the non-fatiguing sound it produces. I'm ok with the bass, though I wish it was more visceral, but that doesn't stop the K501s from being musical.

When paired to a good source and amp, you'll be in music bliss. It is picky on source and amp. It's not that hard to drive, but it likes clean power and clean source. Otherwise you'll start hearing imperfections in your music, and like BigD and myself, will drive you batty.

I do not recommend plugging these cans into a computer sound card directly. I also do not recommend plugging these cans into a CD player directly.

Your mileage may vary.

Enjoy!

May 5, 2004 at 10:33 PM Post #7 of 17
haven't heard the hd580, but as far as i know, they are two headphones at the same level, same cost, so i'm not sure if the k501 is an improvement.

at first i hate the k501 for having too concerntrated sound (to the middle of the earcup) and not enough bass. that is until i did a mod by cutting a round piece of foam and place it into the earcups. it help spread apart the instruments and add a slight amount of bass. i'm really enjoying it now. as time goes by, either i got use to the k501 or it got burned in, i feel there is no longer the lack of bass. it have very precise instrument positioning, a big sound stage (though not as big as my speakers), and *very* comfortable. the only complain i have is that its a little difficult to hugs, i want to hug it because i love it so much.

i think the real way to make this headphone shine is to listen to the right music with it. remember it was built for acoustic and classical type music. it still sound good with other type of music, but not the best as it can be.

May 6, 2004 at 2:44 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

i think the real way to make this headphone shine is to listen to the right music with it.

I totally agree with terrymx

Quote:

The more I've been using it, the more I enjoy the non-fatiguing sound it produces.

Honestly I hate them first, BUT IT GROWS ON YOU VERY BIG.

Try to get some answers from people who own your amp at the amp forum
tongue.gif

May 6, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedxing
AKG-501 was trendy among the forum members like three years ago. I think the lack of bass extension diminished its popularity over time. I like the soundstage and airiness of the AKG-501.

Yup. The 501s have excellent air and soundstage...a lot like a little brother of the K1000. The 580s are warmer and more intimate. Overall, I think the quality is about equal for classical and jazz despite the marked sonic difference.

May 6, 2004 at 4:52 AM Post #10 of 17
well, they are definately the next AKG's I'm buying, from what I have read in the forums
biggrin.gif

I'm looking forward to listening to them... cant seem to track them down at any local stores... maybe the next meet
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2004 at 5:06 AM Post #11 of 17
I'm a big fan of the K501. I love good, clean, airy midrange, and no cans I've heard do it quite so well.

I'm not a fan of the Sennheiser house sound (as heard with the 580 and 600, except when connected to the blockhead). The midrange and high end always seems muffled to me. I guess I'm the wrong person to ask about those cans.

The key to the K501 IMHO is to match it with the right amp...something well powered with good solid bass and overall warmth. I've really enjoyed the match with my Emmeline XP-7, and I thought it an excellent match with my Max. I thought it was NOT a good match with the Meier Corda PreHead, as I thought the highs were over-emphasized.

May 6, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
I'm a big fan of the K501. I love good, clean, airy midrange, and no cans I've heard do it quite so well.

I'm not a fan of the Sennheiser house sound (as heard with the 580 and 600, except when connected to the blockhead). The midrange and high end always seems muffled to me. I guess I'm the wrong person to ask about those cans.

The key to the K501 IMHO is to match it with the right amp...something well powered with good solid bass and overall warmth. I've really enjoyed the match with my Emmeline XP-7, and I thought it an excellent match with my Max. I thought it was NOT a good match with the Meier Corda PreHead, as I thought the highs were over-emphasized.

I generally like that K501, except that it really needs a semi-expensive amp just to bring out the bass response in that can. Also, with the wrong amp, it will sound very thin and quite bright.

As for your experience with the Sennheisers... remember the phrase "Sennheiser, Schmennheiser"...
evil_smiley.gif

May 6, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
As for your experience with the Sennheisers... remember the phrase "Sennheiser, Schmennheiser"...
evil_smiley.gif

Yes, that IS my old signature...for Team AKG, of course.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 6, 2004 at 6:29 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
Yes, that IS my old signature...for Team AKG, of course.
very_evil_smiley.gif

See my new avatar? It's of myself wearing a hooded coat backwards (so that the back of the hood covers my face) and wearing my pair of the AKG K240S (read: K240Studio) headphones.
basshead.gif

May 6, 2004 at 6:37 AM Post #15 of 17
biggrin.gif
Gotta love that AKG profile!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back