AKG K501 synergy with Corda amps?
Feb 1, 2005 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sacundim

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a Beyer DT880, but my second candidate is the AKG K501. I know the Corda amps are very much recommended for the Beyer, but I'd like to hear some comments from people who've tried them with the 501. (The Corda amp I have in mind is the HA-1 MkII.)

If there's any other amp you can recommend in the $300-500 range that works well with both phones, bring it on, too.

Feb 2, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 14
I have a Corda HA-2 that does an excellent job with both my DT880 and k501 cans. The HA-1 Mk II has specifications similar to those of the HA-2 (in terms of its output voltage and current) and should provide similar performance (although I have no first-hand experience with that particular model). The lack of a 120 ohm output jack in the HA-1 Mk II is of no consequence, since both these headphones sound best with a low impedance output.

That said, the key to making the k501s sing is getting enough current into them. Many otherwise fine amplifiers fall short in that department and the k501 has acquired an undeservedly poor reputation as a consequence. I will admit that my k501s sound even better when driven by my Grace 901, but that's a much more expensive amplifier with an output current capability roughly double that of the Corda amps mentioned above. It's hardly a fair comparison but it does serve to emphasize the importance of current.

Another possibility might be a PPA with plenty of output buffers and a hefty power supply. I'll leave it to others to elaborate on that theme as I have not heard a k501/PPA combination. Just speculating.

I trust that you have auditioned both headphone models you are considering, as they have radically different sound signatures. There are plenty of threads that pontificate on their relative merits. Without knowing what type of music you listen to most, I would not dare to make a personal recommendation but I would venture that the DT880 is the easier to drive and, therefore, could potentially increase your amplifier choices. If you're leaning toward the Corda, you won't go far wrong with either set of cans; if you can find a used HA-1 Mk II at a good price, perhaps you could afford both headphones and not have to make a difficult choice!

Feb 9, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacundim
I'm looking to get a Beyer DT880, but my second candidate is the AKG K501. I know the Corda amps are very much recommended for the Beyer, but I'd like to hear some comments from people who've tried them with the 501. (The Corda amp I have in mind is the HA-1 MkII.)

If there's any other amp you can recommend in the $300-500 range that works well with both phones, bring it on, too.

Hi
I have K501+ HA1 and am very pleased with the sound I get. The problem (??) is that the quality of recordings became a critical factor: well recorded music is great. Not-so-well recorded music is sometimes simply impossible to listen to. Unfortunately I cannot say how my gear compares to other stuff because these are my first dedicated amp and headphones.

Giuseppe

Feb 9, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by machead
I have a Corda HA-2 that does an excellent job with both my DT880 and k501 cans.

Machead, how do you compare the hi frequency extension of 501 vs 880 ? My 501 sound rolled off in HF ... could it be because they're old stocks ?

Feb 9, 2005 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 14
Interesting thread, I just received my Corda Prehead amp today, and have an AKG 501 on order coming soon too - can't wait to listen to them together...
smily_headphones1.gif

The Corda is now plugged in, and I am listening to bass like I never did before, Bill Evans trio playing tracks from 'Portrait in Jazz' - the sound is nice and I can hear the bass player plucking his strings so vividly.

...:bliss:...

Feb 10, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Machead, how do you compare the hi frequency extension of 501 vs 880 ? My 501 sound rolled off in HF ... could it be because they're old stocks ?

I wouldn't describe either of them as "rolled off". The 880 has incredible detail and extends at least to the upper limit of my 55 year old ears.
rolleyes.gif
The 501s can sound a bit harsh in the treble (as noted by gpsv1000 earlier in this thread) but I don't think they actually extend quite as far as the 880s. On good recordings, particularly classical (my meat 'n' potatoes), the 501s sound simply marvellous -- no other headphone in my experience better conveys the sound of an orchestra in a large auditorium, and their bass response sounds perfectly natural to me. I regularly attend live performances, so I have a good basis for comparison. On the other hand, the 501s are merciless in exposing any recording with grainy treble, while the 880s are far more forgiving in that regard. The 880s definitely have more weight in the bass, and I prefer them for jazz and pop/rock where one expects the lower registers to be more visceral than cerebral!

Feb 10, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

The 501s can sound a bit harsh in the treble (as noted by gpsv1000 earlier in this thread) but I don't think they actually extend quite as far as the 880s.

Yeah I thought these 501 are perfect for its intended use - concert hall performance. I was a bit worried since 271s and even 506 have noticably more HF extension. And the fact that its red box came with a sticker "best product in 1996". Hmmm ...
eek.gif

Feb 10, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Yeah I thought these 501 are perfect for its intended use - concert hall performance. I was a bit worried since 271s and even 506 have noticably more HF extension. And the fact that its red box came with a sticker "best product in 1996". Hmmm ...
eek.gif

Can you describe in detail how you have perceived the 271s having greater HF extension than the 501s? Specific examples would be useful.

Feb 10, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

I wouldn't describe either of them as "rolled off". The 880 has incredible detail and extends at least to the upper limit of my 55 year old ears.
rolleyes.gif
The 501s can sound a bit harsh in the treble (as noted by gpsv1000 earlier in this thread) but I don't think they actually extend quite as far as the 880s. On good recordings, particularly classical (my meat 'n' potatoes), the 501s sound simply marvellous On the other hand, the 501s are merciless in exposing any recording with grainy treble, while the 880s are far more forgiving in that regard. The 880s definitely have more weight in the bass, and I prefer them for jazz and pop/rock where one expects the lower registers to be more visceral than cerebral

Well said , I couldn't have delined & summed them better.

Feb 10, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Can you describe in detail how you have perceived the 271s having greater HF extension than the 501s? Specific examples would be useful.

Sorry, really can't. =) I'm not good with words.
wink.gif

Specific example would be the trailing egde or end of cymbal / percussion that sound a bit muted on 501, but not on the other two (granted I took out the inner cloth off 506 pads). Without EQ I can't be more specific, but let's say I hear more 3-4khz content on 501 and less of 12-16k. Could be the extreme HF was masked by 501's lower treble though. In any case the difference is not subtle.

Feb 10, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Sorry, really can't. =) I'm not good with words.
wink.gif

Specific example would be the trailing egde or end of cymbal / percussion that sound a bit muted on 501, but not on the other two (granted I took out the inner cloth off 506 pads). Without EQ I can't be more specific, but let's say I hear more 3-4khz content on 501 and less of 12-16k. Could be the extreme HF was masked by 501's lower treble though. In any case the difference is not subtle.

Interesting. I'll have to check that again when I have the opportunity. I had a pair of 271s for a while (just shy of 2 weeks worth of steady burnin) and felt they were airless and lifeless and had less extension than the 501s. My 501s seem to reproduce very fine HF subtleties and complex upper harmonics in cymbals, bell trees, quiet harp passages, high violin harmonic runs, complex acoustic guitar textures, etc. I don't have a pair of 271s (or 506s) just now for comparison, but that'll be a future project.

Feb 11, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
My 501s seem to reproduce very fine HF subtleties and complex upper harmonics in cymbals, bell trees, quiet harp passages, high violin harmonic runs, complex acoustic guitar textures, etc. I don't have a pair of 271s (or 506s) just now for comparison, but that'll be a future project.

That's why I thought my 501 were faulty ... everybody talk about good HF extension while I only got great mids and some sibilance highs. I actually won't mind the bass if I hear the highs right. Another possibility is that AKG kept product revisions along the way and mine was a very early model. Btw I don't think you'd want to get 506 - acceptable for wireless phones though, with inner cloth removed.

Feb 11, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #14 of 14
I thought the K501 was a decent (but not exceptional match) with the Corda Prehead that I auditioned for about 45 days. That's not to be critical of the amp...I thought it was excellent. However, I thought it wasn't the best match. I like the HeadRoom and Ray Samuels amps better with the K501.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back