AKG K501 Rewired again: Litz Cable Mod II!
Jul 26, 2005 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SV_huMMer

100+ Head-Fier
After a few weeks of enjoying my original AKG K501 Litz Cable Mod, I contacted the guy that makes these wonderful cables and asked a question that quite a few K501 owners would ask themselves:

"Is there a way to get just a tad more bass in my cans?"
k1000smile.gif

So, this copper wire genius scratched his head(fi), and said: "OK, I think I can offer something to you. Call me in a week".

And I did. And I came again to his lair, where rolls of litzendraht wire were transformed into some of the most highly acclaimed Russian-made ICs. Mind you, so far I am the only client of this guy for headphone cables
smily_headphones1.gif
Normally, he would make RCA and XLR interconnects, coax spdif cables and speaker cables.

My cable was ready to be soldered into my cans. This time, he decided to go with a different type of litz: instead of super-thin 82x0.07 he used 35x0.1. The cable was soldered into the cans, cash changed hands, and off I ran home eager to plug them in!!!...

But prior to satisfying my salivating desire, I found some strengths to take a few quick shots to share with the Head-Fi community. There it goes:

K501 LITZ CABLE MOD II!

litz_mode2_.jpg

The overall thickness (including external PVC insulation) was about 3mm, which allowed to neatly use the original rubber cable intake:

cable_entry.jpg

And now it was terminated by that monster Neutrik 1/4" nickel-plated plug:

neutrik_monster.jpg

No more trying to grab that tiny plug with the tips of your fingers: you just hold it like some serious weapon!

But enough looking at it, let's see where it is in terms of sound! Tubes are burning, CD is loaded....

Who was that to say that K501s are somewhat thin in the bass department???? Come to my place - I have enough BASS for half a dozen K501s!!! Even unamped and plugged directly into the (weak) Audigy2ZS Platinum's headphone out, it sounds more solid in the lows, but amped....!!!!!

It should be noted that highs have dropped slightly compared to the original Litz mod, roughly back to the level of the original cable, even maybe a tad lower - but this was the sacrifice I was willing to make!!!

The conclusion is: I've completely rediscovered these wonderful cans, and it was indeed a revelation to me. The first mod, while it was really nice, did not have so much impact on the sound. And all I can say now is these CANS, properly cabled and amped, can beat the dust out of some of their way more expensive rivals!

Jul 27, 2005 at 10:47 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ojnihs
Man would I like to listen to those
340smile.gif

Oh you'd be surprised!!!
k1000smile.gif

Jul 27, 2005 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 7
any chance of buying those litz wires direct from your friend?

Jul 27, 2005 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 7
I messed up the Edit function...
rolleyes.gif

Jul 27, 2005 at 2:44 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
any chance of buying those litz wires direct from your friend?

Well, it's easy to buy them direct if you're in Moscow - so plan your summer trip!
k1000smile.gif
Seriously, no idea really. He has a web site www.pavlovcables.narod.ru, where there's an e-mail address. Drop'm a line. But remember - he does not normally offer headphone cables, so you won't find them advertized on his page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back