AKG K501 first impression
Apr 10, 2009 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

moonboy403

Headphoneus Supremus
After hearing of all the talk of the K501, I couldn't resist and bought myself a used pair off of a fellow head-fier.

Right off the bat, I heard a treble emphasis on the K501 that makes it sound a little bit unnatural. It bothered me quite a bit in the beginning as it gave me a slight headache, but I've adjusted to it a bit.

The midrange is definitely the strong point of the K501. It has a very smooth and soothing midrange even though I feel that it's a bit on the thin side. Maybe more so than a W5000. Also, it's slightly nasal.

The bass is well defined but definitely lean and rolled off. However, it's more than enough for an enjoyable experience listening to acoustic music.

The soundstage is very wide, it's about 10 miles in length. Well, you get the idea. However, the K501 lacks a bit of depth. The depth and width contrasts so much that I feel like the soundstage is only 2D. On the other hand, imaging is very good as well as detail retrieval.

For $160, the K501 is ridiculously good. I would say that the price/performance ratio is only slightly below the SR-Lambda + adaptor combo which I got for $300.

Well, that's all I can come up with for now.
tongue.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I looked at that thread too, but the pictures are down so I don't know how to identify them.

Their descriptions are still up though.
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Here's the picture. So which version do I have and is there anything special about my version?
tongue.gif

dscf3869.jpg

Actually that one has 6 long open and 4 small open in the outer ring ..

That one's new to me , you may found a 4th version !!

What color is the damping foam that sits under the pad ?

Apr 10, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

The foam's gray.

Can you point me to the spot where there are 4 small opening?

I only see 6/6/4 from outer to the middle.

Your version is the same as this guys >>

It's the last known version to be released before they were discontinued ...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4740139-post37.html

Apr 10, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually that one has 6 long open and 4 small open in the outer ring ..

That one's new to me , you may found a 4th version !!

No, these 4 openings don't count. It's V3.

Apr 10, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #14 of 16
Moonboy, your version is definitely the last before AKG officially discontinued the k501. But, "improved bass"? Makes me wonder what the earlier versions sounded like in that area. Like you, I found the bass okay for acoustic music, but a bit deficient for most anything else.

Your findings on the sound qualities parallel my own feelings. The high frequencies would always sound ridiculously good, but a bit overemphasized to me. My listening sessions would typically only last a half hour or so before I found myself wanting to listen to another pair of headphones that were more subdued in the highs and that had a bit more bottom end.

I never really detected the slightly nasal quality in the midrange you describe, at least nothing that made me take notice. Like you, I thought the midrange was the strong suit of the k501 and it struck me as being a little bit thin, too.

Still, as you say, these phones have a great price/performance ratio. Bassheads need not apply, though.
icon10.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Update: I'm hearing slight nasal mids on the K501.

I have version 1 and the mids sound anything but nasal. Then again my pair has at least 200 hours on it.

I would like to hear the version you have PM me if you ever wish to sell
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back