AKG K501: burn-in?
Sep 13, 2002 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bugsy_pal

New Head-Fier
Just got my new K501s, and I love them. I was a bit concerned they might be bass shy, but they have ample, much more than my old Audio-Technica ATH-70 electret phones. Seems to be a very balanced sound, and very 3-dimensional.

I'm not using an amp - that will come later, but still very happy with them so far. I was wondering if these phones tend to change to any degree with burn-in. I've read how numerous other models can improve with 30, 50, 100 or more hours of use - has anyone noticed this phenomenon with the 501s?

Sep 18, 2002 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 6
Well,

I have had my K501s for about a month now. I love mine as well, a huge improvement over my Grado SR-80s. As for burn-in, I didn't notice anything. When I got mine, I listened to them right away, but I also let them run pretty loud for 20 hours or so when I was gone for the day. So I guess you can call that 20 hours a little burn in. I would say I have about 50-60 hours on them now. I use mine with my tube preamp that has a dedicated headphone stage, and haven't really noticed a difference since Day 1. I have noticed the effects of burn-in with speakers and other components, but not my K501s. My 2 cents.

Sep 18, 2002 at 11:25 AM Post #4 of 6
you know, burn in headphone is like "watching" your kids grow up. So why skip the process and jump to the end?? Just hand the phond on your head and listen to it normally, until it reaches maturation.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2002 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 6
A fair point Planar - I am enjoying these as they are, and I can't imagine them getting any better. And I am watching my kids grow up - carefully - the other day our 11 month old grabbed the 501 cord that I had foolishly left hanging. They hit the floor, but thankfully no harm was down. Seems like they are pretty sturdily built.

Sep 19, 2002 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 6
huh, this is the way I see it: burn in is like skipping all the diaper changing etc, and skipping to the part where they move out.
biggrin.gif

But then, I've never had kids, so what would I know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back