AKG K501+Benchmark DAC-1?
Jun 13, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 6
The K501's + dac1 is a beaut combination, I should know, they have been around for close to 9 months now and every time they are a refreshing and redeeming experience.

detail is gr8 to amazing, easily on the SA5000 with none of the harshness, I heard via the dac1. all in all one comfortable set of headphones and can very well be the only rig I could live with if it came to that.

Jun 13, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #5 of 6
kunwar - does the DAC1 have any positive effect on the K501's legendarily light bass. I don't own the K501s but am now considering them.

Jun 14, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #6 of 6
the dual mono will surely be a treat even the pics look sxey. the K501 is kind of like the Grados, most things can drive it, very few can drive it optimally. Often people confuse loud volume with well driven headphones. Case in point, something like the K501, Grado RS-1 or Senn HD650

I am currently waiting for a SAC K1000 amp to arrive. It is right now on the production lines. Based on the reviews read, that amp will probably fill up the bottom end.

First major difference between the K501 and the DT770, The 770 is a Godzilla on steroids, the 501 is a fine Clare Valley (South Australian) Cab Sav. A wine analogy if you are into it.

The 501 has excellent highs/mids and treble control, Imagine something like the SA5000 without any of the artificially extended treble/highs and harshness. The bass is literally non-existent coming from a dt770 background, but give it one day and you will realise it is there, just the tuning of the ear changes to pick up the subtler version of bass, It is not doof doofy like the HD650 but of a cleaner variety kinda like the dac1 bass, lean mean clean and for me just right.

You are in US and probably close to one of the meets, take a listen in peace for 10 minutes and you will realise that for the price, it would be stupid not to own this headphone.

A reminder, electronica is not this headphones forte, In such conditions a bass heavy/bass booster ala PPA or Supermacro should be just the right thing. You might want to look into getting a little switch for the amp which can be turned on or off. that will keep you in good nick for both headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back