AKG K450 - Wow, i'm impressed!
May 1, 2009 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

captian73

Headphoneus Supremus
i got the akg k450's on a bit of a deal, but i have to say that i'm really impressed with them. when it comes to SQ they, are quite ful and forward, but not as clinical and thin as the sennheiser hd238's.

i'm in my last week of uni, but i'll write a full report soon.

however, my advice is, if you're looking for a fullsize, beyer, akg, ultrasone type of sound in a pair of portables, these are the ones to buy.

May 1, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 37
I'll let you see for yourself. please excuse the bed hair
tongue_smile.gif
(bottom picture)

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/h...3/#post5622126

May 1, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 37
I also have a pair of JBL410's I got rid of my AKG k27i's because they are the same as the 410's, My WeSC's oboes are in Mexico, but they suck! I've got a pair of porta porta pros, Audio t3echnica ATH-0N3, Pioneer MJ- 3 something or other, and of course a pair of skullcandys that i bought out of curiosity.

I do like them, yes i know the 'you can buy fullsize for that money' argueement, but the point i, i want true portability and quality. I'm not going to wear my Ultrasone 750 in town!!

May 1, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 37
Have you been able to compare them to the ATH-ES7 or AKG k414p?

The reason I ask, is that I have a pair of AKG 414p, which pretty much look like the same thing the k450 is built upon (drivers only, the whole body is different and looks way more comfortable).

I was interested in the k450 before the ES7 but two things held me back : price, and the fact that they might be the same thing as 414p but in a new body.

Only problem I had with the k414p is how the sound tend to be "nasal". You really have to wear them the right way...

May 2, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 37
These look like a nice choice but I will wait for the Ultrasone Zino and UF-30 since I might just want an open phone. The K450 can be pricey. How much did they cost with your deal?

May 2, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #7 of 37
Those headphones got good reviews in Asia. Some even say they are as good as ESW9.
I would like to hear more about these headphones too.

PS, since the headphones are made in china, there are many versions of counterfeits out there already. Just be wary when you want to get a par.

May 2, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirsier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you been able to compare them to the ATH-ES7 or AKG k414p?

The reason I ask, is that I have a pair of AKG 414p, which pretty much look like the same thing the k450 is built upon (drivers only, the whole body is different and looks way more comfortable).

I was interested in the k450 before the ES7 but two things held me back : price, and the fact that they might be the same thing as 414p but in a new body.

Only problem I had with the k414p is how the sound tend to be "nasal". You really have to wear them the right way...

I totally agree about the 414's. Very nasally, or chesty and congested sounding. But they're pretty good as a compact portable closed phone. I decided to try the K81dj's, and they do bass much better, have better mids and treble, but still have just a touch of that nasal sound. It would be nice if the 450's could improve further on the K81's, while being more similar to the compact size of the 414's. Then it would be a winner of a portable phone.

May 2, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #9 of 37
The sound isn't the most open, but it's far from what i was expecting to be. I'm assumming the ES7's are the same size as the ...k518/k81's and the hd25/hd25-1. It's just that i want the sound of a pair of stax or ultrasone edition 8/9 in the size of a pair of px100/px200. yes the 450's are prricey, but they are better than the ususal riff raff.

I haven't tried them against the k414p's yet, i've only got the newish k518's which i've just sold to a poor skullcandy hesh owner, and a pair of jbl 410's.

those ultrasone zino headphones look nice..
buit i wonder if ultrsone have cleaned up that applauing recessed midrange?

ultrasone zino - Google Image Search

nuforce seems to be going from strenght to strenght, but again, i'm scared of that deeply recesssed midrange form the s-logic. thank goodness the HFI-15G headphones don't suffer that much from the s-logic, apart from the need for an amp to give them a kick up the backside (i use the fiio e3 or e5).

like i said, the new zino and nuforce look nice, but i am nervous.

i might look into the 414's, or buy another pair of k518's/81's. the thing is i found the k518/k81 quite uncomfortable, although the bass was deeper and punchier than my ultrasone 750's.

i guess what i'm saying is that as a portable package... i'm happy. like i said, i'm not getting into the 'you can buy better fullsize headphones for the money' discussion, because i don't want fullsize headphones.

May 2, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #10 of 37
Actually, i take that "The sound isn't the most open" comment back. i've been spending the last hour with the big four, c-jays, hd238, hfi-15g and k450.

been playing a lot of 80's music, eye of thge tigar - survivour, tell it to my heart - Taylor Dayne, we close our eyes - go west. I deduce the follow.

Ultrasone hfi-15g

probably the most grounded of the four, and the most balanced, although they could do with better seperation.

Sennheiser HD238

in this company, they lean more towards the Ultrasones, in their presentation. slighly subdued mdirange, not as well balanced as the Ultrasone's, but better top end. They sound very crisp, but somehow, not as invovling as the Ultrsone's.

c-jays

bags of midrange punch. very forward in their presentaion. maybe that's why i say the ultrasone's need an amp, becasue in comparison, the c-jays are very ...loud. could do with a touch more at the top end, but sepereation in the mids and definition in the lower mids are brilliant.

AKG K450

in terms of having a forward presentation, think c-jays X2. these are loud, up front and very 'in ya face' like nothing else. very heavy in the mid and low end, with a slightly crisper top end than the c-jays. however the forward nature of the sound, might not suit all. but they are fantastic.

quick conclusion.

Ultrasone's: most grounded and balanced

Sennheiser: Crisp and forward. if you're a grado fan and you want a pair of portables, these will do

c-jays: near perfect minimalist design that works well. performance belies the dimensions. if you're coming from Shure's these are the ones to have.

AKG: if you want fullsize Ultrasone, Beyer AKG sound, in a portable, then these are for you. They can cut it against the competition, make no mistake.

P.S.

sorry for the lack of pictures, i'm hoping to put some on soon. Sorry also that i haven't compared them against more headphones.... icans, grado sr60 etc. to cut a long story sort, my wife and i have split up, but i'm currently looking after her in her house because shs not too well, and so i haven't got all my gear with me.

May 3, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #11 of 37
FWIR the 450 is the new 416, its only slight better than the 430 which is also the new 414 still muddy but with slightly better highs and mids.

i also read that k518 drivers are same as 450s, is this true?

May 3, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by z50j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIR the 450 is the new 416, its only slight better than the 430 which is also the new 414 still muddy but with slightly better highs and mids.

i also read that k518 drivers are same as 450s, is this true?

not quite sure!

May 4, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #14 of 37
well I tried the 'Big four' on my wife, and even she says that the Akg's ar the best! she also likes the jays as well.

what i forget is, that most people don't have over 70 pairs of headphones to chose from (like i do) and so it's important to choose the right pair.

Another thing is the exchange rate. IN the U.S. the Grado SR60 retail for $69 (£46)

the akg's are $119 (£79)

In the UK, the Grado SR60's retail for £90 ($133)

the akg's retail for £97.87 ($145)

But for portablility, i do love the akg's. The soundstaging is a little 'closed', but please don't mistake 'closed' for meaning 'not well defined' because i'm happier with the definition. In some cases, the upfront presentation helps. but, they can do subtle detail!
the akg's are also easy to drive.

i do understand the price isssue over such headphones as the sr60's, and until i get home, i can't compare them, but i'm sooooooo glad i bought the akg's!!! they deep when they need to be, detailed when you wan them to be, and they even keep the wife happy, which is saying something!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back