Akg k450 vs Akg k619 - which one would you take?
Feb 2, 2013 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Nati123

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!

At this piont of time, I'm using my Koss Porta pro for hearing music outside. Unfortunately it's going to have a broken cable. One side was already quiet, sometimes. So I'd like to buy new portable headphones.
As the title says, I'm interested in these two models of AKG: the k450 and the k619.
There aren't many threads or reviews of the k619, and the k450 seems to be a good one, but some people also say, that it's awful.
I know: the k619 is twice the price of the k450, but I can't decide between them. What do you think?:
Which one is better? Are there other ones, which are better, any other proposals?

I like electronical music, but some classic and piano music, too. I also like nice/brilliant highs, present mids and (deep?) bass.
I'm not a basshead, and my headphone doesn't have to be a "bassy" one. If the bass wouldn't be enough for my taste, I could help it out with my Fiio E11.
My budget is up to about 100€, which are about 136$. And if there are much better ones, i could go up to 150$.

I'm looking forward to read your answers! :)

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #3 of 17
Bump, also interested. And btw If the k450 and q460 are the same than the k450 does sound terrible but it is my favorite headphone. It's fun sounding but lacks mids and the treble is rolled off. Still I prefer it over $250 + headphones.

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #4 of 17
I had the K451's and found them quite fun and bassy, however as Iso just mentioned, the treble and mids were sacrificed! I did find them to have quite a lot of detail for a pair that were so bass heavy (to my ears at least).

The AKG k451's definitely benefited from at least 20 hours of burn in before it's potential was unlocked.A lot of the complaints probably stemmed from the fact that people were making judgements listening to them straight out of the box. Never a good idea.

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:
Hey guys!

At this piont of time, I'm using my Koss Porta pro for hearing music outside. Unfortunately it's going to have a broken cable. One side was already quiet, sometimes. So I'd like to buy new portable headphones.
As the title says, I'm interested in these two models of AKG: the k450 and the k619.
There aren't many threads or reviews of the k619, and the k450 seems to be a good one, but some people also say, that it's awful.
I know: the k619 is twice the price of the k450, but I can't decide between them. What do you think?:
Which one is better? Are there other ones, which are better, any other proposals?

I like electronical music, but some classic and piano music, too. I also like nice/brilliant highs, present mids and (deep?) bass.
I'm not a basshead, and my headphone doesn't have to be a "bassy" one. If the bass wouldn't be enough for my taste, I could help it out with my Fiio E11.
My budget is up to about 100€, which are about 136$. And if there are much better ones, i could go up to 150$.

I'm looking forward to read your answers!
smily_headphones1.gif

I would like to read a decent review on the K619. Not much out there on the interweb

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #7 of 17
Thanks for your answers :)
More or less unfortunatly I went for the Beyer DT990 Pro, and I'll use a Sennheiser HD439 for outside... But apart from that I'm still interested in differences and which one is better ... :wink:

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #8 of 17
Hi, I have k450's and am very satisfied with them, I didn't get chance to listen to other ones but I am not sure if 450's are right for you as they are really bassy and you seem to seek quality treble. These suffer a bit on that. The bass is quite good on these after burn in though... They go really deep :)

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
If you are still interested I have the 450/460 headphones and waiting for the k618 to arrive so I can compare them for you

Sorry that I'm answering that late (I hope you've still got these three headphones) but I'd be interested too. Since my Koss Porta Pro is broken now, I could really need a new pair for the outdoor use... I've still got HD439s by Sennheiser laying around, but I don't really like their sound. So, what can you tell me about the AKGs? 
wink.gif

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #14 of 17
K619s arrived today. Haven't been able to burn them in yet so this is a bit preliminary.

Overall in terms of sound quality, they're not worlds apart. For me the 619s have a wider-sounding stereo field than the K451s, better clarity in the upper range, however they're quieter in the low mids (on some songs this was very striking for me). Another negative is the're a fair bit quieter than the K451s - if you're listening on a portable player, you'll need the volume about another 10% higher. I find that on the iPod touch they don't go as loud as I would like. I'm by no means an expert, but if anyone has specific questions I'll do my best to make a comparison.

Jun 9, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #15 of 17
Well, I also heard the two of them yesterday. I've bin in a huge market of electronic stuff, where I also tested a few High-End headphones, I heard that much headphones, that I'm not able to remeber the sound of the K619s or K450s, but the K619 was better, I suppose. Sure, they cost about 50 Euros more. The K619s are neutral, and the K450 are a rather "funny". That's my opinion, but I fear that the K450s have been broken, since they sounded kind of scary...

Thanks for telling us your experiences with these two headphone! It was very helpful.

By the way:

I could test the Audeze LCD2 and LCD3 yesterday, also the Ultrasone Edition 10, Edition 8 Palladium, Sennheiser HD700 and HD600, the AKG K701 and Q701 and many other headphones. The Audeze LCD-2 was the best thing I ever heard, the LCD-3 was even a little bit better. I realized, that the only senseful upgrade from my DT990 Pros would be in the 1000 Euro range. But I think that the K701, Q701 and HD700 are awesome headphones for less money than 1000 Euros. If you want to have very good headphones for the outside use, I suggest the Custom One Pro by Beyerdymamic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back