AKG K403 or Marshall Monitor?
Jan 11, 2017 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

IkuMiku96

New Head-Fier
hey again.
i want to find a replacement for my 4-5 years Philips SHM7110 which, to me, sounds great with good (did compared to Beats, actually trumps most of them)(only at minimally, Beyerdynamic DTX 910 beats mine). i had difficulty to replace my portable headphone that i diyed repair myself all the time.

so, i found these headphones which are priced dirt cheaps and what i would like to get.

AKG K403 (converted to USD, $49.20)
- semi-open back, my prefered (i like open-back headphone)
- though lack of reviews, most says great audio with great detail, which what i wanted
- some did said limited bass, which i guess is the design and semi-open back. unless i cant hear the impact or feel the punching much, im okay with that
- not good at reliability and not that comfortable. quite worrying
- someone said is like AKG K430but with lighter and cheaper. i guess they are the same? so, what's the driver size for this headphone?

Marshall Monitor (converted to USD, $47)
- close back, which not in my wishlist but good audio is an exception
- most of owners said they are great headphones. but some reviewers said that a tad of loss detail, which i kinda... hmm....
- looks great, looks durable.
- tested its family, Marshall Major 2. Major 2 is nice but to me, mine is better at detail, this headphone sounds not good with low-mid frequency, like i had to tune 125Hz and 250Hz down.

that Marshall Monitor is like real steal with that price tag. locally, the Major 2 is priced $134

anyone who tested any of these 2? if you ever tried both of them, would be great~

PS, i've already bought the AKG K403 online but i still have time to cancel that order then change to Marshall Monitor. also i tried the AKG Y50, sounds great with great detail despite of very high sub-bass, not deep though. and dem it i miss the AKG Y50 $5 dollar....

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #2 of 7
  hey again.
i want to find a replacement for my 4-5 years Philips SHM7110 which, to me, sounds great with good (did compared to Beats, actually trumps most of them)(only at minimally, Beyerdynamic DTX 910 beats mine). i had difficulty to replace my portable headphone that i diyed repair myself all the time.

so, i found these headphones which are priced dirt cheaps and what i would like to get.

AKG K403 (converted to USD, $49.20)
- semi-open back, my prefered (i like open-back headphone)
- though lack of reviews, most says great audio with great detail, which what i wanted
- some did said limited bass, which i guess is the design and semi-open back. unless i cant hear the impact or feel the punching much, im okay with that
- not good at reliability and not that comfortable. quite worrying
- someone said is like AKG K430but with lighter and cheaper. i guess they are the same? so, what's the driver size for this headphone?

Marshall Monitor (converted to USD, $47)
- close back, which not in my wishlist but good audio is an exception
- most of owners said they are great headphones. but some reviewers said that a tad of loss detail, which i kinda... hmm....
- looks great, looks durable.
- tested its family, Marshall Major 2. Major 2 is nice but to me, mine is better at detail, this headphone sounds not good with low-mid frequency, like i had to tune 125Hz and 250Hz down.

that Marshall Monitor is like real steal with that price tag. locally, the Major 2 is priced $134

anyone who tested any of these 2? if you ever tried both of them, would be great~

PS, i've already bought the AKG K403 online but i still have time to cancel that order then change to Marshall Monitor. also i tried the AKG Y50, sounds great with great detail despite of very high sub-bass, not deep though. and dem it i miss the AKG Y50 $5 dollar....

Had a Marshall Major once and it was a terrible headphone.
Only useful to take them a good picture (when new, before the paint goes away)
Tons of clamp, extremely coloured sound, relatively weak drivers...
Not sure how the "Monitor" compares but if I were you I would stay away from "Marshall" headphones
(If I recall correctly they are made by the same people who make the Urbanears, not by the same guys who make the classy guitar amps).

Can't speak for those AKGs

- I've read good things about the Beyer DTX501p
- Porta Pros are always a solid pick in terms of SQ
- Creative Aurvana Live should work very well

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #3 of 7

Had a Marshall Major once and it was a terrible headphone.
Only useful to take them a good picture (when new, before the paint goes away)
Tons of clamp, extremely coloured sound, relatively weak drivers...
Not sure how the "Monitor" compares but if I were you I would stay away from "Marshall" headphones
(If I recall correctly they are made by the same people who make the Urbanears, not by the same guys who make the classy guitar amps).

Can't speak for those AKGs

- I've read good things about the Beyer DTX501p
- Porta Pros are always a solid pick in terms of SQ
- Creative Aurvana Live should work very well

Thought the Major will sounds at least decent after lots of hours (200+hrs) of burns to get it kickin', i heard that from a review.
Yeah, made by Zound, who also did SkullCandy. which is kinda why im kinda worrying about buying it. (but someone said is tuned by Marshall their own. i guess is 'controlled' then)
Some said that the Monitor is better for accuracy than Major 2. but still, tried the Major 2 locally. the sound is okay but the low-mid frequency like at 125Hz and 250Hz (i guess also for 500Hz) are kinda boosted and sound terrible unless i tune them down with an equalizer

tried the AKG Y50 and even though the extra pumping bass is kinda too much, how the headphone still keep up the detail is astonishing. (even the bass is clear, powerful sub-bass but not distorted for the low-mid bass)

- i do like Beyerdynamic DTX501p. tried that before but... wish i can have more budget though (out of stock for discounted price, which in USD, $64. only available at $88 right now)
- Porta Pros isnt available with my preferred online shopping
- Creative Aurvana Live looks great. even with over-ear type, looks light enough. just... ouch for my budget (yeah, i have really low budget)... available at cheapest, $77

thanks for the suggestion~

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #4 of 7
You're welcome. You might also consider the JVC HA S500, I've read many good things about them and can be found for 38 or so on amazon.

You can read about them here:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/jvc-victor-head-band-portable-headphones-ha-s500-b-black-japanese-import

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #5 of 7
  You're welcome. You might also consider the JVC HA S500, I've read many good things about them and can be found for 38 or so on amazon.

You can read about them here:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/jvc-victor-head-band-portable-headphones-ha-s500-b-black-japanese-import

for $33, is quite a steal. (just that im not experienced with online shopping other that what i use locally)
sadly, not available for my preferred online shopping. but what i found instead is JVC HB-S660, JVC HB-S770W and cheaper JVC HB-S400W, being S660 and S770 just under $2.50 more than my current ordered akg k403. carbon nanotube is a new stuff i never heard before.

heavy modification wih JVC HA-S770 is a necessary i read from a forum here (after burn in)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/637477/jvc-ha-s770-first-over-ear-carbon-nanotubes-headphone

little info about JVC HA-S660. but JVC HA-S680 seems to be a great one, being similar to S400 but better in soundstage and superior in other aspect. if the s660 is somehow same as s680, i guess i get the s660 instead?

(just that i experienced dissapointing test with JVC before. a model i tested just sounds horrible. the model is unknown but it did said about XX bass. but i think is just is not burn completely yet though. will try if i actually know these models at local headphone shop later)

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #6 of 7
  (just that i experienced dissapointing test with JVC before. a model i tested just sounds horrible. the model is unknown but it did said about XX bass. but i think is just is not burn completely yet though. will try if i actually know these models at local headphone shop later)

Haha yeah the XX model is awful.
I've tried that one.

Jan 20, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 7
just an update.

The order was hard to cancel after an hour placed them (which i just realised). So.. yeah. AKG then.
also, already received the AKG K403 and using it right now.
(really, it sounds amazing and sounds tomy preference. totally better than Marshall Major 2 i tried. but not for its bass though is a quick fix by tuning the equalizer, 32Hz to +3dB and 64Hz to 3dB. (also, i dislike 125Hz so i tuned down to be like around -2 to -4dB)

though i do kinda wish for the JVC for the carbon nanotube!  (plus, yeah, the AKG is a bit discomfort but i think i can live with it)

thanks for the answers though~ will be a next thing (i guess) in the future

Users who are viewing this thread

Back