AKG K361/K371
Feb 27, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #181 of 1,294
Now that you have a properly working pair of K371s, how do you think they compare to the MSR7B?

Sorry for my late response.

Firstly I would like to compare the sound signatures of both K371 & MSR7B

K371 - Balanced tilting slightly towards mid centric and slightly hollow sounding mid bass.

MSR7B - as everybody says leaner, brighter a bit of emphasis on upper mids and slightly recessed lower mids.

Both headphones have good extension either ends but different in presentation

Resolution:

MSR7B is a level above K371 in terms of resolution - Bass has very good definition and speed, Highs are very well extended and very well resolved to give an example the striking of drum stick to high hats and the decay of high hats are very clear in MSR7B

Soundstage & imaging:

MSR7B is a clear winner - It has better depth & width with very good imaging and definitely. K371 always sounds like inside the head kind of presentation.

MSR7B also benefits from balanced source - in terms soundstage dimensions and bit tighter bass.

Feb 28, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #182 of 1,294
Sorry for my late response.

Firstly I would like to compare the sound signatures of both K371 & MSR7B

K371 - Balanced tilting slightly towards mid centric and slightly hollow sounding mid bass.

MSR7B - as everybody says leaner, brighter a bit of emphasis on upper mids and slightly recessed lower mids.

Both headphones have good extension either ends but different in presentation

Resolution:

MSR7B is a level above K371 in terms of resolution - Bass has very good definition and speed, Highs are very well extended and very well resolved to give an example the striking of drum stick to high hats and the decay of high hats are very clear in MSR7B

Soundstage & imaging:

MSR7B is a clear winner - It has better depth & width with very good imaging and definitely. K371 always sounds like inside the head kind of presentation.

MSR7B also benefits from balanced source - in terms soundstage dimensions and bit tighter bass.
Thank you for that focused, very helpful response.

Mar 11, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #184 of 1,294
For those of you who would like some more comfort and a slightly more reference sound from the K371, I can highly recommend the Yaxi MSR7 Comfort Pads. The alcantara makes them much more breathable than the stock pads, which cause me to sweat during extended listening. Additionally, the sound is changed to somewhat reduce the subbass boost. As a result this may seem to bring the mids more forward to some, but for me its an enjoyable change. Soundstage is slightly increased too. In regards to pad depth, the pads seem shallower than stock, but because they are more dense/don't compress as much, the distance from the driver to the ear is relatively unchanged. Fitting them on was also super easy. They aren't cheap, but the build quality is high and if you really love the K371 like me, its nice to be able to change up the sound slightly without ruining the overall character.

Attachments

• IMG_20200311_132408.jpg
    IMG_20200311_132408.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200311_132422.jpg
    IMG_20200311_132422.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 13, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #188 of 1,294
I only use the K371 as an on the go headphone or when I need some isolation, but to me they are a great closed back alternative to the HD600. Not saying they are as good as the HD600 because they are not, but AKG got the tonality right with this one, no doubt due to the Harman tuning.

Mar 13, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #189 of 1,294
I only use the K371 as an on the go headphone or when I need some isolation, but to me they are a great closed back alternative to the HD600. Not saying they are as good as the HD600 because they are not, but AKG got the tonality right with this one, no doubt due to the Harman tuning.
I looked at the Rtings measurement, and it doesn't look precisely Harman, there are some recession in the upper-mids/lower-treble area with peak in the mid-treble. I wonder how much of a unit variance there are with these?

Do you all hear any mid-treble emphasis? This either be off-sounding or easy listen for some due to the dipped regions.

k371-raw-frequency-response-l-14-graph-small.jpg

Mar 13, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #190 of 1,294
I looked at the Rtings measurement, and it doesn't look precisely Harman, there are some recession in the upper-mids/lower-treble area with peak in the mid-treble. I wonder how much of a unit variance there are with these?

Do you all hear any mid-treble emphasis? This either be off-sounding or easy listen for some due to the dipped regions.

Take a look at oratory1990’s measurement. I don’t think RTINGS utilizes the Harman Target. It follows it pretty closely. I don’t know if it’s a normality of the Harman curve but I found the upper mids to be rather forward on these (not sure if it’s more forward there than Harman usually measures).

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #191 of 1,294

k371-raw-frequency-response-l-14-graph-small.jpg
I'm not hearing any mid treble peaks or emphasis. It actually sounds very smooth to me, it resembles the treble of the Sennheiser HD 600 series.
Also, like what bcaulf17 said, take a look at oratory1990's measurement. It more accurately shows what I'm hearing:

AKG K371.PNG

Mar 13, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #192 of 1,294

They are the headphone that most closely follow the harman target curve, even if there are very slight differences.
I wouldn't attribute sonic differences people hear to unit variation, but rather to fit (head placement, pad compression, ear size etc) on different heads. This will alter the amount of subbass heard and have perceived emphasis on the upper mid/lower treble regions to an extent.

Mar 15, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #194 of 1,294
Do you guys feel the K371 is worth the extra $40-50 over the K361?

With a coupon, I could grab the K361-BT for only $80 shipped (ebay, but new) and I'm an Apple user, so AAC is plenty on BT Codecs for me.

this is a question I've asked myself already, but decided to wait for the K-371BT. At least it seems to offer even better battery life. But at $80 I'd not hesitate, and being an Apple user myself I'm happy with AAC

Mar 15, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #195 of 1,294
I'm not hearing any mid treble peaks or emphasis. It actually sounds very smooth to me, it resembles the treble of the Sennheiser HD 600 series.
Also, like what bcaulf17 said, take a look at oratory1990's measurement. It more accurately shows what I'm hearing:

Well since Oratory's measurement result looks more Harman, I hope his is more accurate. lol. I've been following Rtings measurements and gaining greater and greater confidence in their measurements. Measurements from rigs from resolve reviews, etc.. are garbage, and I can't believe these people use them in their analysis, which goes to show how placebo the impressions are if they are convinced what they hear is from a crappy rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back