AKG K340s with MG Head OTL
Apr 25, 2002 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Mr.Toad

Head-Fier
I just received a new MG Head OTL. It makes my ancient AKG K340s sound absolutely incredibly bloody wonderful.

One thing that surprised me is the effect of the NFB switch in OTL mode: switching to the NFB position makes the sound 'close in'. In the 0 NFB position there is a much more open sound. I can hear the same thing with some HD 580s, but less pronounced.

One odd thing was that the amp arrived from divergent with a spare set of valves, but no power cord!

Apr 25, 2002 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 4
Hi, Mr.Toad, and welcome to Head-Fi! Congratulations on your new MG Head. Your "ancient" AKG K340s happen to be a great pair of headphones, and I still get great enjoyment out of mine as well. They really need some power (not as much as the newer K501s) to sound their best, and the MG Head does a nice job, particularly with no negative feedback. It really does open them up quite a bit. That said, the K340s really come into their own with a more powerful amp such as the Sugden Headmaster. If you want to save your wallet, though, disregard my last statement and leave this site at once. If you stay here long enough, you'll be like the rest of us poor souls, who are doomed to wander forever in Headphone Hell.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 25, 2002 at 7:25 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
If you stay here long enough, you'll be like the rest of us poor souls, who are doomed to wander forever in Headphone Hell.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Speak for yourself Joe
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hehe, Mr.Toad congrats on your amp
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2002 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
That said, the K340s really come into their own with a more powerful amp such as the Sugden Headmaster. If you want to save your wallet, though, disregard my last statement and leave this site at once. If you stay here long enough, you'll be like the rest of us poor souls, who are doomed to wander forever in Headphone Hell.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Arrrgh, no! <holding on to wallet>

Thanks for the warning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back