AKG K340
May 16, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20
VERY good to know. Does this include the electrets? Any idea if they will sell the drivers alone without the replacement?

Yes, the entire driver assembly can be replaced if needed. Mine are being repaired as we speak. I'll report back when they return.

The guy at AKG to contact is Mark Zucha: mzucha@harman.com. Very easy guy to deal with, and responds very promptly to e-mails.

May 16, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Yes, the entire driver assembly can be replaced if needed. Mine are being repaired as we speak. I'll report back when they return.

The guy at AKG to contact is Mark Zucha: mzucha@harman.com. Very easy guy to deal with, and responds very promptly to e-mails.

That is great!! Now, k340 users do not have to worry about the thought of old electrets going bad. Just replace it with new ones. I hope they offer this service for awhile. Buying new electret drivers would be a great thought too. I wonder if this would be a cheaper alternative than to get it repaired.

May 16, 2006 at 10:49 AM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyre
I just wanted to point out that the K340 is only expensive on ebay/head-fi, not in the real world. There was another member here recently that got a pair off of craigslist for $40.

Those were mine. This made dumping all the upgrade money into the headphones make a lot more sense. The woman I bought them from had purchased a new HT receiver that had no headphone jacks so she figured they were not worth much. I think with all the discussions here there will be more people looking for them and the price will go up.

May 16, 2006 at 11:07 AM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
You have to open them up and check the 5 passive diaphragms. If they're clear and you can see a black backing through them, that's the bass-heavy version. If they're sorta translucent with a white backing behind them, that's the one with less bass.

Hm....
I have one with the white diaphragms, yet they have a nice amount of bass. I didn't find it lacking, even though I'm a bit of a basshead.

Quote:

That's not quite accurate according to the data sheet:

It says: LF Sensitivity 0.63V (1mW [not mA]) for 94dB SPL, HF Sensitivity rating 5.0V (63mW) for 112 dB SPL.

I'm not sure how well it translates to headphones, but with speakers, there's a good estimate that doubling the wattage adds 3 dBs. 112-94=18=6x3, so that means 10.5 mWs for 94 dB on the HF sensivity.
However, does that matter? It sounds good, that's the most important, isn't it?
tongue.gif

Quote:

Also, AKG will repair any electrical damage, including complete replacement of both drivers for a flat fee of $80.

*Hooray!!!*

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyre
I just wanted to point out that the K340 is only expensive on ebay/head-fi, not in the real world. There was another member here recently that got a pair off of craigslist for $40.

Got mine last year for $35
evil_smiley.gif

340smile.gif

May 16, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #38 of 42
Not sure how I missed this thread. Just checking in. VPI - Nice to hear you are enjoying them!
340smile.gif

Jun 16, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #40 of 42
FYI, was inquiring about K340 parts today (Harmon US) and was told they Do NOT have the Drivers!
All Gone!
Kapput!
Finito!
86 on the drivers

Jun 16, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
FYI, was inquiring about K340 parts today (Harmon US) and was told they Do NOT have the Drivers!
All Gone!
Kapput!
Finito!
86 on the drivers

From what I've been hearing, the Dynamic drivers are all done, but they still have soem electrets. Just word of mouth though, I could be wrong.

Jun 16, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20
From what I've been hearing, the Dynamic drivers are all done, but they still have soem electrets. Just word of mouth though, I could be wrong.

eek.gif
Does that mean my K340's won't last forever ???
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back