AKG K340 why so popular all of the sudden?
Mar 6, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf
I have the K701 since 10 days and the K340 since about one year. I love my K340 and I have spent many hours tweaking them, but after spending a rainy weekend listening to the two, I have to say the K701 does a much better job with most of the music I listen to (classical): strings (from cello to violin) sound just right with the K701. The K340 adds a husky timbre to violins that may be pleasant, but does not sound real. The K701 soundstage is as big as the K340's but, if possible, even better defined: with the K701 (and a good recording) I can "see" every player in the Mendelssonh octet or each individual wind instrument in a symphony orchestra.

IMHO there is only one (important) thing that K340 does better: male voices sound fuller, more emotional with the old phones. And judging from a couple of tracks from 1950 opera CDs, old recordings sound better through the rose-colored K340.

But rest assured I am not giving up on my K340: perhaps with a silver recable a-la headphile (I am using CAT-5E cable now) and more tweaking with the filling material I can get rid of that "veil" that I hear after comparing them to K701. We'll see...
340smile.gif

Well AKG K701 is on my wish list this year and thats for sure
eggosmile.gif
Just amazed me why AKG didnt make any AKG K350 or something like it. What a lost, dont you think
confused.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940
Calaf : did you remove the plastic grids, or at least cut big holes in them ? That helps a lot with the excessive warmth added.

yes I removed the grids for a couple of weeks, but could not hear a change and decided to put them back to have better mechanical protection for the electrets. I have been trying to find some acoustically transparent sturdy cloth to replace the grids but no luck so far...

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf
yes I removed the grids for a couple of weeks, but could not hear a change and decided to put them back to have better mechanical protection for the electrets. I have been trying to find some acoustically transparent sturdy "cloth" to replace the grids but no luck so far...

The grill modd on mine (cloth) and BlackMax cables done by Larry made a huge difference! Not talking subtle here. I would love to hear the 701's. From all i've read, they sound like a headphone i'd like to own.

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
The grill modd on mine (cloth) and BlackMax cables done by Larry made a huge difference! Not talking subtle here.

oh yeah, I still remember the shock I had when I replaced the original lamp cord with the ethernet cable in mine: it was huge, another headphone altogether. Unfortunately the first upgrade is always the biggest: I suspect going from the ethernet cable to a good audio cable (BTW has anyone tried the Cardas 4x24 with K340?) will by more of an incremental step...
Quote:

I would love to hear the 701's. From all i've read, they sound like a headphone i'd like to own.

I think about it as a jazzed-up K340, or a smooth DT880: AKG hit a sweet spot, really...

Mar 7, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Ummm, because they're good? You can chalk it up to the 'philodox effect' if you'd like. I am a pretty huge fanboy, so when I like something... it gets a certain amount of press.
redface.gif

I blame it on this man
biggrin.gif
I think they are an ok pair of headphones. Certainly unique but hearing various pairs over the years, I think they just sound strange.

Oh yeah, and I'm not a fan of K701 either.
very_evil_smiley.gif
If I were to chose one, I rather get K340 and do some work on it.

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I blame it on this man
biggrin.gif
I think they are an ok pair of headphones. Certainly unique but hearing various pairs over the years, I think they just sound strange.

Oh yeah, and I'm not a fan of K701 either.
very_evil_smiley.gif
If I were to chose one, I rather get K340 and do some work on it.

Ummm, so you dont like 701 at all. But 340 is pretty old ones, its like buying antique. And they really need some work on, but Larry wouldnt mind. If i will buy them an get modded i probably will pay more then for a new 701. And you think its still worth it.
confused.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #23 of 44
Well if I had a choice with more headphones, I wouldn't have either K340 or K701 but amongst the two, I would choose K340 but only if it's modded. Now whether you go this way or not depends on what you like and where you're going gear wise. I have past the point of having 1 all around good headphone. If you havn't, maybe you need to sample more headphones. If that's the case, then spending $ on a single headphone which needs work and ultimately you don't know how it will sound is not wise IMO. You could research more on K340 but ultimately for me, it doesn't matter what another person says unless I truly understand their ears, tastes, etc. and I don't for many members here.

An a tangent note, these are only headphones, the rest of your gear should be taken into consideration. I still believe everything before the headphones matter a lot even more.

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:22 AM Post #24 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Well if I had a choice with more headphones, I wouldn't have either K340 or K701 but amongst the two, I would choose K340 but only if it's modded. Now whether you go this way or not depends on what you like and where you're going gear wise. I have past the point of having 1 all around good headphone. If you havn't, maybe you need to sample more headphones. If that's the case, then spending $ on a single headphone which needs work and ultimately you don't know how it will sound is not wise IMO. You could research more on K340 but ultimately for me, it doesn't matter what another person says unless I truly understand their ears, tastes, etc. and I don't for many members here.

An a tangent note, these are only headphones, the rest of your gear should be taken into consideration. I still believe everything before the headphones matter a lot even more.

Well I am still on search, so you are probably right. And to tell you the true how longer I stay here and discover some new ideas, how further this idea about one perfect phone goes. So I am agree on this point to. To find a peace with only one phone is not a possibility but a dream chasing, for sure if you are listen to a different kind of music. But I would be o.k. if I could have 3 total different kind that will mach my wishes. Right now I have four already and I am not stopping.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thank you for your honest comment.
icon10.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1rocketpilot
Their reproduction of the midrange and up is absolutely effortless, due in large part to the electret in the driver.

Actually, it's due to typical AKG Midrange Magic. The electret driver only takes the top 2 octaves. That way the dynamic driver can be optimized for midrange and bass duties. So what you hear as the "character" of the K340 is due entirely to the dynamic driver. The electret element just puts the bright sparkly bits on top, from 4KHz on up.

I wonder if AKG ever made a headphone using just the dynamic driver found in the K340...?

Someone mentioned giving this whole hybrid 2-way design hoo-hah a modern twist using the K501/K701-type dynamic driver plus an electret tweeter. Sounds like a winner to me.

Mar 8, 2006 at 8:46 AM Post #27 of 44
And now guys after all yours replays, which were very helpful for me, the big question is HOW MUCH YOU WILLING TO PAY for those AS MAXIMUM.
confused.gif

Thank you all, very kind of you
eggosmile.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #29 of 44
Everyone has their own tastes. So far, the only headphone that I've heard that can touch the K340 in respect to what I love about it is the Grado HP1000 series. The HP2's do some things a little better than the K340, but the AKG still has the edge in imaging and soundstage while not sacrificing all that much. That said, I can see why some don't love it as much as I.

Mar 8, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #30 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Everyone has their own tastes. So far, the only headphone that I've heard that can touch the K340 in respect to what I love about it is the Grado HP1000 series. The HP2's do some things a little better than the K340, but the AKG still has the edge in imaging and soundstage while not sacrificing all that much. That said, I can see why some don't love it as much as I.

Well if I read this then they are priceless
eggosmile.gif
I must get one
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back