AKG: K340 vs K240DF vs K501
Nov 19, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #16 of 23
Oh man...That's why I like this hobby so much!! Once you make your mind up, then someone says: this headphone is better than the other, IMO!!! Cheers for that XXII :) Now I've got the Sextet too in my list! Any UK headfier willing to loan one these 3 headphones? I can borrow my K701 and the ATH-ES7

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sizwej /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the end of the day its all about personal preference.If i were making an unbiased recommendation for someone, then i would suggest the 240df, as their flat/neutral nature make them suitable for many genres.My personal preference is the 501, because it's sound signature suites me better (treble spike, massive soundstage, very detailed midrange).

The 501 has more treble than the DF? If so, that's way too much, IMO. The DF...at least my re-cabled set...borders on too much treble as it is. Its got more than most other headphones I've heard, and also more than my studio monitor speakers. I love to hear good highs, and the DF has plenty...at least to my ears.

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #20 of 23
Treble spike on the 501 ? I guess I just dont hear it after hours with the 325is welded to my head !
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 501 has more treble than the DF? If so, that's way too much, IMO. The DF...at least my re-cabled set...borders on too much treble as it is. Its got more than most other headphones I've heard, and also more than my studio monitor speakers. I love to hear good highs, and the DF has plenty...at least to my ears.

Well i don't want to create the impression that the 501 has excessive treble,so maybe my post contained a poor choice of words.However i still feel they have noticeably more treble than the K240DF.

I will admit that the presence of such a huge soundstage, may lead to a false impression that everything is "clearer", thus the illusion that the scale is tipped in that direction.

Nov 20, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #22 of 23
Probably not all 240DF's are created equal. I couldn't bear to listen to more high end than I get with my re-cabled DF. In fact another forum member recommends trying the velour pads to cut the highs a bit and to increase the lows. I would love to hear the 501's one day, though, if the mids are even better than the DF. It's a real shame they got discontinued.
confused.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #23 of 23
Thanks all for your comments. I believe I'll end up buying at least 2 of them: the DF and one between the 501 and the sextett. Only my ears can judge (but my wallet is not happy!). Then I'll sell the one I like less, or the 701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back