AKG K340 v. K501 and K701
May 31, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #61 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pataburd, you're the only person I have ever heard describe the 501's as forward. They are the most distant sounding headphones ever made.

Ok, now you hear another one, I do not consider it's midrange as distant. As Pat already mentioned, midrange is what this headphone is about.

As for it sounding like a speaker blaring from far away, I find that an exaggeration too.

However what I have yet to hear is the often mentioned football field sized sound stage and airiness. I wonder if it is an amp or burn in issue? Mine is about 200 hours now and doesn't seem to change much in the last few days.

May 31, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #62 of 88
Quote:

pataburd, you're the only person I have ever heard describe the 501's as forward. They are the most distant sounding headphones ever made.

I think the DT880's are the most distant sounding headphones ever made,
but I haven't heard the K701's which have a reportedly very large soundstage.

IME the W5000's are more distant than the K501's, other than the W5000 midrange which was the sweetest and most intimate (forward) sounding 'thing' I've ever heard.
Bass and highs were more distant on the stock W5000 than the K501, though I think this had something to do with fit-to-head factor.

The K501's are maybe more distant than the Kx40's, but I wouldn't call them too distant.
Even from a meager SS integrated amp's 120 ohm headphone jack they sing, and do not sound distant.
I will try them with tubes on Monday.

Remember that source and amp play a larger factor with the K501's sound more than other headphones.

May 31, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #63 of 88
Quote:

Hi Regal,
The K501's midrange is "exactly there" for me, in every way. We most likely hear differently, and listen for different things in what we hear, too.

You sound as thoroughly unimpressed with the K501 as I am with the DT880/2005! : )
PAB

May 31, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #64 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the DT880's are the most distant sounding headphones ever made, but I haven't heard the K701's which have a reportedly very large soundstage.

DW,
Ah! The DT880/2003 threw probably the most immense sound field I've ever heard. Because they are so extended at the top and bottom, coupled with their recessed lower mids and upper bass, it just makes for a lot of room in between. : ) I miss mine, especially with the Darkvoice 336i. You could really get lost in the DT880/2003. AND they are probably the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, too.

The DT880/2003 throw a larger sound stage than the K701, IMHE. The K501's sound stage is bigger than the K701's, too, IMHE, but that may be due to the comparatively more solid and punchy character of the K701.
PAB

Jun 1, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #65 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Regal,
The K501's midrange is "exactly there" for me, in every way. We most likely hear differently, and listen for different things in what we hear, too.

You sound as thoroughly unimpressed with the K501 as I am with the DT880/2005! : )
PAB

It is amazing how people hear different things. I think skull geometry plays a big part in soundstage perceptions, the distance between the ears I suspect impacts the earcup position.

I do appreciate the review, always a pleasure to to read a good articulation of headphone sonics.

Jun 1, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #66 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DW,
Ah! The DT880/2003 threw probably the most immense sound field I've ever heard. Because they are so extended at the top and bottom, coupled with their recessed lower mids and upper bass, it just makes for a lot of room in between. : ) I miss mine, especially with the Darkvoice 336i. You could really get lost in the DT880/2003. AND they are probably the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, too.

The DT880/2003 throw a larger sound stage than the K701, IMHE. The K501's sound stage is bigger than the K701's, too, IMHE, but that may be due to the comparatively more solid and punchy character of the K701.
PAB

Interesting,
I've only ever heard the DT880/05 and the only thing I liked about it was the tight, extended bass and the bright highs.
This made it only really good for psytrance and that was it.
The midrange sounded too recessed, or maybe it was the huge sound field as you say. (this is the first time I've seen anyone describe it this way, and it makes a lot of sense)
I just couldn't get lost in the music the same way as the HD650 or even the K501.
I ran the DT880 with an Electrocompaniet ECD1 (warm/analogue-sounding DAC), and the Darkvoice 332 w/ rolled tubes.

I noticed how you differentiated between DT880/03 and DT880/05. Have you tried both?
If not, what are the reported differences?

I agree with Regal about subjective hearing. This can't be brought up enough in this forum lol.
Also, I appreciate your sound descriptions.
Thanks for hangin around
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 1, 2008 at 9:54 AM Post #67 of 88
Quote:

It is amazing how people hear different things. I think skull geometry plays a big part in soundstage perceptions, the distance between the ears I suspect impacts the earcup position.

I do appreciate the review, always a pleasure to to read a good articulation of headphone sonics.

That's an interesting point of view. Never thought about it that way, but you might be right. There are indeed so many opinions, it puzzles me.

Jun 1, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #68 of 88
Heard the DT880 2005 a few times, what hold me back was the distant midrange.

Anyone can answer on why I have yet to hear the often mentioned football field sized sound stage and airiness on the K501. I wonder if it is an amp or burn in issue? Mine is about 200 hours now and doesn't seem to change much in the last few days.

Jun 1, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #69 of 88
I have the chance to buy a new pair of 501s for aroung £85. Does this sound kosher for these?

And also what would you say is best to couple up to a solid state Technics amp and CD player, the 501 or 701s

Thanks

Jun 1, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #70 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karlos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the chance to buy a new pair of 501s for aroung £85. Does this sound kosher for these?

And also what would you say is best to couple up to a solid state Technics amp and CD player, the 501 or 701s

Thanks

I bought mine new a few weeks ago under a hundred USD new from an eBay seller in Asia. I don't know about prices in Europe so can't comment

When plugged into my Rotel preamp it sounded fine to me, though attack and sound stage improved when plugged into my power amp (listed in my signature).

Jun 1, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #71 of 88
thanks for your help

Jun 1, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #73 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed how you differentiated between DT880/03 and DT880/05. Have you tried both?

DW,
See the "old vs. new DT880" thread that's resurfaced today. My assessment is on the first page, I believe (w/an ensuing duel with majkel). : )
PAB

Jun 2, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #74 of 88
More merry misadventures with the K340 and K501 (the RAL/K701 are getting shipped off today).

The Burning Bush: The Best of Yiddish, Klezmer and Sephardic Music (Arc Music)
(Track 3: "Cuando el rey Nimrod")
Well, I prefer the openness, treble edge/attack and coherency of the K501 over the K340 on this track. Strings, clarinet, concertina, drums and vocals simply sound more "finished" with the K501. Where they lag the K340--and not by too much, IMHO--with respect to absolute levels of detail, the K501 more than compensate with holistic realism. The whole equals the sum of its parts with the K340, but exceeds that sum with the K501.

(Track 7: "Una noche al borde de la mar")
This female vocal is nigh flawless with the K501. And, although admittedly very smooth and alluringly warm, lacks that ultimate "reach" and involvement with the K340.

As enjoyable as the K340 are, I must say that the K501 continue to win me over to a more satisfying listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back