AKG K340 users out there?
Jun 24, 2004 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Dry Martini

New Head-Fier
I am not sure if all K340 are the same regardless of the two different headbands they come in, one with AKG logo printed on top and the other without. Has anyone had both and heard differences between the two? Mine are without, and the reason for asking this question is mainly because above the right ear cup it is marked "2 x 400 OHMS". 800 ohm
eek.gif
??

Despite my expections prior to hearing these, I can say these are NOT at all dark and boring sounding cans, after listening for about 30 minutes. Without a doubt compared to most phones they would be placed in the the laid back side. But the highs are strikingly clear yet sibilance free, lows are solid as rock, and the mids.. the MIDS!! Listening to Paul Desmond's alto and vocals have never been more so illuminating and intimate. The level of details is comparable to my ER4, and instrument placement/separation is if not as good as ER4, better. The soundstage is Huge (for good). And this is all coming from the stock cable.

Two words I think best describe these phones are 'real' and 'life-like'. It's almost in a sense, holographic just as Number 9 mentioned before. As a musican(terrible) myself, I always have wished to attend a concert and hear Paul Desmond, the great jazz alto saxophonist and also the composer of the well known Take Five from album Time Out, in a live performance when he was still alive. Don't get be wrong I still do, but you know what I am going to say next..

Jun 24, 2004 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 25
I love my K340s (no AKG on headband). I've had them for about 6 years now, and agree completely with your assessment of their sonic qualities. The mids on these 'phones are outstandingly fast and articulate.....electrostatic quality (maybe because they are
wink.gif
)
The soundstage on these 'phones is also quite large, which enhances the listening experience for me as well.
A fellow Head-Fier has done a complete wire upgrade and says the high end is greatly improved. At my age, though, I don't think I'd be able to hear the difference. I like them just as they are. Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 25
although you may be completely satisfied with the sound now, if you have any electrical skill, i'd give a cable swap a try (both the external and internal). i found that the mids retain their amazing fluidity, while the highs and lows come forward to create a more balanced (to me) tonal response (in comparison to my other phones). then again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

edit: i should add that i've never heard a difference in cables before, that's how vast the change was. the stock wire interally appeared to be steel, which really sucks as a conductor it would seem.

Jun 24, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 25
i am enjoying the k340 very much, thanks to terabyte
biggrin.gif

mine is the 800ohms version also, i read that 2x400ohms on the side of the headband too. i went online and check the spec and its true.

i do agree about the mids, it is so good! the mid mids are my fav, when i listen to death/doom metal growl it is so raw and crunchy.

i dont agree about it being laidback. they sound quite forward to me, atleast the trebles are. though the mids and bass are warmer than the k501, i think they are almost as bright, with lots of treble power. (i do prefer bright sounding headphone, but i might be sensitive to high frequencies?)

i actaully think the two headphones share a lot of commons in term of sound signature (and design). except like you said about the bass, it sound a lot nicer with rock than the k501 does. the k340 instrument precision is good, but i think the k501 might have a small edge over it in this area. also i think the k501 have better treble extension (well it was built specificly for classical music).

for being close the sound stage is nice, just as big as k501. the thing i like most about this headphone is that its free from coloration and the acoustic effect suffered by many closed headphones. but then they arent really 100% closed either, they do leaks some noises.

right now my earpads are quite old, but they still are comfortable. the only problem i have is that they weight 14ounces, quite heavy for my little head.

oh, and no akg on headband either.

pics:
k340
side

Jun 24, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

mine is the 800ohms version also, i read that 2x400ohms on the side of the headband too. i went online and check the spec and its true.

I have the brochure/spec sheet that came with the K340s, and it states a total impedance of 400 ohms.
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 25
i bought mine new whenever that was.

i had someone replace the xover wire & cable. nice improvement.

mine have the printed band & 2 x 400 on the ear cups. i guess that makes them 800 ohms. it takes some juice to drive em.

& ditto to everything joelongwood said about the sound.

Jun 24, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
I have the brochure/spec sheet that came with the K340s, and it states a total impedance of 400 ohms.
biggrin.gif

strange, i downloaded one of the brochure from akg website itself and it states: 400ohms, each channel.

Jun 24, 2004 at 1:02 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
strange, i downloaded one of the brochure from akg website itself and it states: 400ohms, each channel.

I just got the brochure out and you are correct..........."400 ohms each channel." My memory ain't what it used to be.
Regarding the impedance presented to the amplifier, however, I believe (and I'm no technical whiz), that, since the left and right drivers are connected in parallel, the amp sees a load of 400 ohms total. If they were connected in series (which I don't think they are), then the load would be 800 ohms. Hopefully, someone more technically inclined can shed more light on this subject.
confused.gif

Jun 24, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #9 of 25
In parallel to calculate the total resistance is 1/resistance1 + 1/resistance2 = 1/total resistance, so if the load is 400 ohms on each channel then it would be 1/400+1/400= 1/200, so the total resistance would be 200ohms, or at least that is what I remember from physics class.

Jun 25, 2004 at 1:01 AM Post #10 of 25
My interpretation would be that these are 400 ohm headphones. We usually don't refer to the 2 sides in combination, just the driver impedance. Each headphone channel is connected to one amp channel. Symmetry is assumed. For instance, my DT250 are 250 ohm. Left driver is 250, right driver is 250.

The only odd thing about the 340 is the extra driver. That would not be considered a "channel". At least I wouldn't label them that way.

Oh, and I do have a pair without the logo. Interesting construction. I like the bass section with the little passive radiators. The treble driver is something I can't stand. Very strange sounding to me, kind of like it is hung in there in bipolar mode. Maybe I should dig them out and figure out what is up with that. I do believe that they could benefit from some crossover work.

gerG

Jun 25, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by demonray
Mine has AKG on headband....it also states 2x400 ohms.....
These cans are great...but are very old.....
Therefore, the headband is loosen.

you can replace the elastic with a fixed-length loop of something else. i used wire.

k340d.jpg

Jun 25, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #13 of 25
terabyte: oh i see! and i was figuring out why the thing stay still, i just replaced the wire with rubber band temporarily thank you. now there was a previous thread about this and someone recommended some other elastic material where you can buy from pharmacy stores to replace it, but i cant seem find that thread.

also i found out those white things are actaully the cable wires ffor the drivers
eek.gif
. i better tape them up or find someway to protect it.

Jun 25, 2004 at 11:22 AM Post #15 of 25
I posted recently another thread regarding replacing the loosened elastic band. I ended up using a normal ponytail elastic band twisted to a "double band". Works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back