AKG K271S vs. Grado SR225
Nov 25, 2004 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

knuxed

100+ Head-Fier
Can anyone tell me which would be a better choice of headphones between those 2 headphones especially for music like vocals and jazz.Thanks a lot

Nov 25, 2004 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 7
hi,

good considerations. but, i prefer sr225's for jazz & vocals.

the akg 271-studio is a closed headphone, has minimal bass & excellent midrange & is a bit on the echo chamber side but are very good at blocking out noise, coming & going, & they will keep your ears warm in cold weather. the grado sr-225 has bass & mid-range but is an open phone & everyone will be listening to your music & much as you.

i would definitely recommend the sr225, for vocals & jazz & fun. i prefer the 225's myself in the sr60 to sr325 line.

imo, the sr225 would be a better choice for all music types vs. the 271. plus, they are a lot of fun to listen to with all sorts of music. be careful of buying a used pair of sr225’s due to grado grattle. a warranted pair will cover any inevitable cost to repair the grattle during the warranty period. extreme heavy bass use from prior owners can cause the grattle. however, grado will happily fix it in or out of warranty.

for more on grattle, do a search here on head-fi.

happy hunting.

Nov 25, 2004 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 7
I was relatively unimpressed with the SR225. The K271S excels with Jazz.

More Info

Nov 25, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 7
The 271s are one of those controversial phones. Some love them, others hate them while several even put extra effort to give contradicting remarks whenever there are praises for 271s. I found myself in love hate relationship with 271s ... sometimes they sound like magic closed phones but everytime I switch from open phones the mids just don't sound right. Sr 225 seem to the best affordable Grado and not as controversial ... wish I have tried 225 but all I got here is sr80 with unbearable highs if there are sibilance in vocals. Other than that I agree they're generally fun phones to listen.

I take it that you don't like Senn sound ... =) so I wouldn't try to persuade you to audition the wonderful world of jazz listening with senns.
eggosmile.gif

Btw belated happy birthday to Philodox.

Nov 26, 2004 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
The 271s are one of those controversial phones.

That is for sure!
eek.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Btw belated happy birthday to Philodox.

Thanks man.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back