Akg k27 i?
Mar 28, 2007 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

simbolosolar

New Head-Fier
I want to get a pair of closed headphones for portable use.
I was thinking about getting the AKG k27 i. I searched for a user review, but those were scarce. So , what do the forum users think about these?
Other recomendations? I've tried the Porta pros, but hate the design... The PX100 are not closed...

Mar 28, 2007 at 11:11 AM Post #2 of 12
No. Not the K26/K27i. Worst product line AKG has ever emitted.

As closed portable, you get the bass heavy K81/K518. Alternatively the Philips HP460 or Senn PX200, which are very neutral. These all cost ~ 60$ or so. If that is too expensive, be patient and put money aside.

Even buying nothing is better than buying that disastrous K27i.

Mar 28, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 12
K26P/K27i has probaply gone few revisions thru. Atleast my piece is directly-from-a-stinky-dark-hole-where-sun-wont-shine. Worst can I have ever heard.

Mar 28, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 12
If you like tons of bloated bass and nothing else in your music then they are ok. I'm sorry to say but it's really hard to find a pair of good closed HPs in this price, the open ones recommended is Koss PortaPro, ksc75, Senn PX100 but those were nothing for you. Maybe you schuld look for in ear monitors like Sennheiser CX300.

Mar 28, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 12
"They not that bad really, at least new versions of 26p. Need to burn in. And no, they're not the worst, just specific."

New versions? have they changed them? Is it official?

Mar 28, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"They not that bad really, at least new versions of 26p. Need to burn in. And no, they're not the worst, just specific."

New versions? have they changed them? Is it official?

Not officially, but users have reported (and people have compared impressions) that first batches sounded better. Later ones were more efficient (and mine are very ubersensitive!), but muddy as hell. IIRC some headfier even had two pairs which sounded different. Perhaps they were botched for a while, but now the line is fixed? Who knows, but im not going to get another one.

Mar 28, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Confirmed then! I might try and cover those holes with bluetack and scotch tape, some time.

It's still a little muddy with the holes covered, but the bass won't over power the mids when done. I have the JBL 410 (the 27i) which has the mods and it's still not right. Eventually I will rewire them and make a few other mods to see if they can get better since I already have them. They are not bad just average.

Mar 28, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #12 of 12
The K26P get a lot of hate around here, but I didn't find them as bad as people make them out to be.

They can be fun cans if you EQ them and don't mind a little bloat in your low end.

They are also small, tough, and easy to carry around.

That said, I bought Audio-Technica SJ5s to replace them and it was certainly worth it in terms of both sound and comfort.

If you have a larger budget, the ATH-ES7 are beautiful closed portable headphones that are considered a step up sound-wise from the SJ5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back