AKG K26 and K24
Mar 9, 2005 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

donunus

Headphoneus Supremus
Has Anybody Heard these cans? How do they compare with sennheiser px100s? Does anyone know a link where they are reviewed?

Mar 9, 2005 at 10:43 AM Post #2 of 16
I only know that Todd sells the K24p & likes it.

I'm searching shops at the moment (I have also PX100).
But I seem not to find it.
frown.gif

Mar 9, 2005 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 16
I have both the PX100s and the K24Ps. When I got them the K24s at Christmas, I believed they would be the phone that finally replaced my beloved PXs. The K24s offered better balance, with less bass than the PXs. I found the mids and highs to be more up front and just "crisper" than with the PX.

Furthermore, the K24s were very well built and were easily as portable as the PXs.

Now, three months later, I find I use the K24 less frequently than I would have originally thought. The problem? It's more a comfort issue. The K24 has (IMO) the strangest headband I've ever seen. It's kind of spring loaded (in terms of the headband automatically snapping back to its smallest form). So, when you put it on, you have to pull on the two earcups to expand its size and figure out a way to hold it in position while putting it on your head. Not at all easy or convenient.

Alternatively, you can first put it on your head and pull down on the earcups to get the size right. When you do that, however, I find that something in the headband grabs my hair. Not pleasant.

The AKGs had such potential, and I'm disappointed that this design flaw overwhelms its appealing characteristics.

Mar 9, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 16
The K24 and K26 are light, comfortable and sound absolutely amazing - okay, I'm biased, but I'm telling the truth. The bass is solid, but not bloated; the mids and highs are pretty well balanced. If I'm sitting in a quiet room, I like the K24 better; if I'm traveling or riding my bike (please don't lecture me about safety) I like the K26 better.

Mar 9, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 16
Do the K24 leak a lot of sound? Can you use them in an office environment with disturbing the people in neighboring cubicles?

paspro, any more thoughts on the K26 vs. the px200? Is it worth the upgrade for a (mostly satisfied) px200 owner?

Thanks.

Mar 10, 2005 at 9:56 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
I have both the PX100s and the K24Ps. When I got them the K24s at Christmas, I believed they would be the phone that finally replaced my beloved PXs. The K24s offered better balance, with less bass than the PXs. I found the mids and highs to be more up front and just "crisper" than with the PX.

Thanks bahamaman, I was just wishing for this kind of feedback -- it sounds very promising, knowing well (and appreciating, btw) the PX100.

The issue you mention with AKG's traditional "self-adjusting headband" sounds like not enough to put me off (I've been content so far with this feature of my AKGs btw, but it maybe is more an issue with the specific case), so I'm going to 'search harder' for them.
As soon as I find them I'll make sure I post my PX100 vs. K24p feedback as well.

Mar 10, 2005 at 11:07 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtEase
Do the K24 leak a lot of sound? Can you use them in an office environment with disturbing the people in neighboring cubicles?

paspro, any more thoughts on the K26 vs. the px200? Is it worth the upgrade for a (mostly satisfied) px200 owner?

Thanks.

In my opinion, it is worth the upgrade. The K26P is more sensitive than the PX200 (32 Ohm, 120 dB SPL) and therefore it can sound very loud even with sources with low power outputs. It has deep and detailed bass which the PX200 lacks. It comes with a bag and it can be folded like the PX200. I use it on a regular basis with my iPod or the PC at work as it is closed and does not leak sound. The headband is very comfortable and exactly like the one that the Koss PortaPro has. Personally, I prefer it to the PX200.

Mar 10, 2005 at 1:08 PM Post #9 of 16
Thanks guys, now where can I buy them in the philippines??? Is there a website that sell these phones? I might go for the k26 since what i currently have is an open design(px100)

Mar 10, 2005 at 1:27 PM Post #10 of 16
I checked a couple of internet stores and they weren't able to ship AKG products outside the U.S. (due to restrictions imposed by AKG to counteract gray market sales).

I got this info off AKG's website - don't know if it will help.

AVESCO MARKETING CORP.
Aurora Blvd. cor. Yale Street, Cubao
POB 3531
Quezon City, Manila

Jimmy T. Tang
Phone: +63 2 9128881
Fax: +63 2 9122999, 9122911

May 24, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 16
Ok, I already own a PX100 for portable use. So is it worth for me to buy an AKG 26P?????

The K26P cause it`s close, I noticed that my px100s suffers alot of outside noise.

May 24, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by cylanes
Ok, I already own a PX100 for portable use. So is it worth for me to buy an AKG 26P?????

The K26P cause it`s close, I noticed that my px100s suffers alot of outside noise.

Have you ever tried PX200?

May 24, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #14 of 16
eh yeah doesn`t fit my ears..........and the AKG`s are cheaper

May 24, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by cylanes
eh yeah doesn`t fit my ears..........and the AKG`s are cheaper

They aren't supposed to fit your ears...
They are supreaural closed headphones, which are supposed to sit on your ears. If you think they're uncomfortable then I highly predict that you will have the same experience with K26P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back