AKG k240S vs. K702/1 does anyone have/had both?
Nov 23, 2009 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mmayer167

500+ Head-Fier
just wondering if anybody here has been able to compare these two cans? i know they are both on different levels but im wondering if the k702 would be a good upgrade for me to go to from my k240S which is re cabled and fed via an indeed hybrid amp and flac files. I really enjoy the 240 so should i just consider ignorant bliss and stick with them? please no speculations if you haven't heard both... thanks everybody, happy listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 7
thanks for the quick response Acix, ive heard that the 70x bass is def. not as "boomy" if you will,which is ok by me. im just after whether or not the bass presence retraction in the 70x will effect the fullness of the sound compared to the 240s? example: with electronic music the 240s are fun to listen to... will some of that fun factor decrease with the 70x if the lows are what bring you into the music..?

Nov 24, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 7
I am listening the The Razor's Edge (AC/DC) with my K701s right now and these cans can be easily eq'd. I am using "Bass Booster" on iTunes and let me tell you there is ZERO distortion and the bass is really good. It is deeper and better controlled than my HD650s.

Nov 24, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 7
thanks for the input, i think im gonna pull the trigger on a pair of 702's
smile.gif
I'll have to find my wallet since it has long been running as far away as possible... this has been going on for 4 years now and i havent seen the light at the end of the tunnel as close as it is now(according to my SQ tolerance) hopefully these 702's will be the end of a long journey of cans i have gone to and left. if not im going to force myself to love the great cans the 70x are acclaimed to be.

Nov 24, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #6 of 7
I own both, I have the K240S in my office and the K701 at home. The K240S' bass can get boomy and bloated while the K701's bass is very disciplined and tight. The K701 can sound lean after coming from a K240S, but the K701 is a huge improvement in treble extension, detail retrieval and soundstaging. I like the K240S for chilling out with easy-listening, jazz and pop, while the K701 is the preferred choice for instrumentals, classical and trance.

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 7
thanks for the honest input guys. I got the 702 today and it was exactly what i was expecting and lots more! I guess akg is my sig, excited to hear them as they burn in
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back